Black fungul issue?

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Haven't been on here in a while! The site looks great. Hope everyone is doing well!

So, I have a trident maple that is being attacked by black spot (or something) and I can't find any info online because it's actually attacking the buds before they even leaf out. I can't find anything online that shows or talks about the fungus, that early on. When the buds first started opening they were fine. The leaves then started showing signs of blackening and curling on the tips. This is happening on growth that has barely even emerged or opened and haulting it. I've been using neem oil and insecticidal soap. I finally just cut off all the effected growth and discarded of it properly. The tree still has buds swelling but its slowed down a tremendous amount as i had to cut off all the new growth for the year. There are currently no leaves on the tree. I didn't think to take any pictures as I thought I could combat the problem on my own. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on what It could actually be or another way I could try and stop the problem. There are no other trees in the garden with any problems so far. Thanks in advance.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could it be frost damage? Or were these being protected under plastic or anything?

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They were protected from frost. Inside an un heated garage. All I can think to do is to just leave it alone, hope for it to start growing again and just leave it. Hopefully it'll get better over time. I'll still spray with neem oil and secluded it from the rest of the trees but I have no idea what to do. This ones got me stumped. Never seen it this early.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm... Yeah weird, you got me stumped too.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anthracnose. Smoke put together a post on it a while ago. Search function is your friend. The TL;DR version, treat w/Daconil.

Top Bottom