Black Hills Spruce nursery stock

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The one I repotted on 4/2 at a club meeting shifted in it's box on the way home so it is at an angle now, maybe I'll fix it next spring. I trimmed the root ball a little too much and it is not recovering as well as the one I did on 4/8. Both have roots out the bottom of the box, which is a little surprising as I thought that spruce rooted slowly.
roots.jpgtipped.jpg good recovery.jpg

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I trimmed them a little. Removed the tops to encourage stronger growth lower.
trimmed.jpgtrimmed.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ready for a trim!
Have you checked this species guide? From the UK so certainly not including Black Hills spruce in the experience. Recommend fall repot and fall/winter work. I have never worked with Spruce, but it’s on the list now that I’m in Midwest.

REPOTTING: Repot in late Summer/early Autumn after new buds appear on the current seasons growth. This timing has proved to be very reliable for a species known to sulk after Spring repotting! Do not remove more than half the soil at any one repotting. Older trees require very infrequent repotting. Use a fast-draining soil-mix. Protect from full-sun after repotting.

PRUNING: New growth should be pinched out after shoots have extended to 2-3cm long, leaving 4 – 5 needle-clusters. Hard prune only in Autumn to reduce sap loss/bleeding.

WIRING: Wire only in Autumn and Winter as wiring during the Spring and Summer can result in dieback of branches.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you checked this species guide? From the UK so certainly not including Black Hills spruce in the experience. Recommend fall repot and fall/winter work. I have never worked with Spruce, but it’s on the list now that I’m in Midwest.

REPOTTING: Repot in late Summer/early Autumn after new buds appear on the current seasons growth. This timing has proved to be very reliable for a species known to sulk after Spring repotting! Do not remove more than half the soil at any one repotting. Older trees require very infrequent repotting. Use a fast-draining soil-mix. Protect from full-sun after repotting.

PRUNING: New growth should be pinched out after shoots have extended to 2-3cm long, leaving 4 – 5 needle-clusters. Hard prune only in Autumn to reduce sap loss/bleeding.

WIRING: Wire only in Autumn and Winter as wiring during the Spring and Summer can result in dieback of branches.
Harry's site was one of the 1st online resources I found that seemed to have dependable information. I frequently use Bonsai4me as a reference.
That said, my climate is so different from the climate Harry grows in that a great portion of his methods just does not work for me. I defer to advice from people closer to home. This site has steered me right so often that I usually just conduct searches here or ask questions here.
Early spring repot worked well for me.
Late summer prune back to buds has worked before.
Wiring in autumn seems to be considered best, although I have wired spruce in Feb.

Top Bottom