Black Leaf Spots on Amur Maple

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've been working with an Amur Maple for the pat two seasons, and towards the end of last summer i started getting black spots on my leaves. This year, they have shown up pretty early. I did a defoliation last year, and just recently did a partial outer canopy defoliation. I live in a river town with a creek in the back yard, the fog rolls into the back yard almost nightly, so its a higher than normal humidity than my surrounding areas. Anyone aware of a treatment so i dont have to defole completely, and then perhaps a suggestion as to taking steps to keep the tree safe. Im not even sure it has anything to do with the humidity. My other trees are mostly conifers, and have had no issues with any sort of powdery mildew or other sorts of fungus that ive noticed. Last year was in almost full sun, this year it is more shaded throughout half the day. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd stop using every unnatural compound including chlorine in water. Especially if you're close to a treatment plant being near the river....

What River?

Welcome to Crazy!

That crick clean?

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A semi natural treatment I think ? Called the Bordeaux Mixture if you do not want to use a daconil or something like that.

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'd stop using every unnatural compound including chlorine in water. Especially if you're close to a treatment plant being near the river....

What River?

Welcome to Crazy!

That crick clean?

Sorce
we have an artesian well in town. Our water report is actually pretty impressive. The river itself probably has some run off from fields and pastures though. I let the water for my maple sit overnight to allow any chlorine or chloramine to disapate. I use living soil organic gardening for my food and stuff so im familiar with Korean Natural Farming imputs, i just havent tried anything like that with the trees. The only real chemicals i use on them is salt based nutrients when organic isnt available locally. The river is the Pecatonica River. Not to far from the source of the river.

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been working with an Amur Maple for the pat two seasons, and towards the end of last summer i started getting black spots on my leaves. This year, they have shown up pretty early. I did a defoliation last year, and just recently did a partial outer canopy defoliation. I live in a river town with a creek in the back yard, the fog rolls into the back yard almost nightly, so its a higher than normal humidity than my surrounding areas. Anyone aware of a treatment so i dont have to defole completely, and then perhaps a suggestion as to taking steps to keep the tree safe. Im not even sure it has anything to do with the humidity. My other trees are mostly conifers, and have had no issues with any sort of powdery mildew or other sorts of fungus that ive noticed. Last year was in almost full sun, this year it is more shaded throughout half the day. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
look up "black spot" or "maple leaf spot" not fatal, just unsightly. I wouldn't defoliate an entire tree because of it. In fact, arborists will tell you NOT to defoliate, as it does little good. It's usually due to wettish conditions, caused by excessive rain or overwatering (including the leaves). The fungus that causes it lives in dead leaves, so clear up leaves from this tree and surrounding landscape trees. Preventative spraying in the early spring with a fungicide can help. (you might be able to get away with a peroxide spray--bordeaux mix will definitely work) in feb. on bare limbs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
chloramine to disapate.

Said you're supposed to use Vitamin C tablets to lock up chloramine, as it doesn't evaporate.

IMO, it doesn't make sense to me to risk family food supply over aesthetics that may not be present in 10years when the tree is show able.

I've had conditions present enough to get black spot on elms, it just goes away.
Never had it on these Amurs yet.

I reckon it's better to change the 1% of your treatment that will cause the situation to become possible.
Rather than spray stuff and always have that 99% headache.

Sorce

Top Bottom