black leaves on Aspen

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
hi... my aspen yamadori which I just dug about a month ago, got black areas on its leaves, which then wilted. I tried spraying with a fungicide but it seemed to spread, so I defoliated it all.. will I come back, and what was it?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you add your location to your profile, it would be easier for others to offer advice tailored to your climate.

Ideal time to collect aspen is before buds open in spring. If leaves were already opened, when you collected, the black leaves are simply a stress reaction, fungus would be secondary or opportunistic after leaf death reaction.

If you had defoliated the entire tree when you collected it might have had a better chance of survival. Best is to only collect deciduous trees while leafless.

Just keep the Aspen watered, don't fertilize until a month after new growth appears. Give it at least a half day of sun, too shady will slow recovery, if it will recover.

Doesn't sound good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you add your location to your profile, it would be easier for others to offer advice tailored to your climate.

Ideal time to collect aspen is before buds open in spring. If leaves were already opened, when you collected, the black leaves are simply a stress reaction, fungus would be secondary or opportunistic after leaf death reaction.

If you had defoliated the entire tree when you collected it might have had a better chance of survival. Best is to only collect deciduous trees while leafless.

Just keep the Aspen watered, don't fertilize until a month after new growth appears. Give it at least a half day of sun, too shady will slow recovery, if it will recover.

Doesn't sound good.
thanks, I updated my profile

CaptainFuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
Just popped in to say, it’s OK to fertilize with organic fertilizer like kelp/fish fertilizer, but dilute to 50%. This will not harm deciduous trees.

Top Bottom