Black mulberry progression

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey nuts,
Today I wanted to start a thread on the mores nigra I've had since april 2015. I'm actually quite pleased with the progression of this tree in just 2 growing seasons.
Here's as I acquired it the 19th of april last year.20150418_183333.jpg
Here it is pruned back and repotted into pumice and seramis. (April 22)20150421_074943.jpg
The tree seemed to do very well last season and was pruned several times (making lots of cuttings:D). Unfortunately I didn't take amother picture all year, except for the autumn shots of course.20151105_071943.jpg
Goodness those are some big leaves lol you'll also tell it was slip potted into a larger pot midsummer of 2015, this baby LOVES growing roots!
Some frost tinged leaves20151106_063432.jpg
It was repotted this spring and had its roots pruned very heavily, since I now knew they could handle it. This time is went into straight NAPA 8822 DE. Yet again it had a great growing season, but I can tell it's pot bound again as the water drains very slowly in comparison to the spring.
Apparently when you have several hundred trees, you tend to forget update pics on all of them throughout the year (why I love this forum, I can keep track easier and get help along the way)
I was waiting for fall colors this year, when a very hard freeze came and caused every mulberry in town to dump their leaves. This is all I managed to get20161126_090620.jpg
And a week later, it dumped20161130_085956.jpg

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got up at 3:30am this morning to give it a wiring.20161213_045512.jpg
Birds eye view20161213_045556.jpg
You'll notice I have a wire tourniquet at the base of the tree. in spring it'll be ground layered and when it's rooted, I'll cut it off the old roots and screw it to a board, the good Ole Ebihara technique.
As always thanks for looking, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Aaron

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
it's pretty warm in your winter right? or you have a green house, as I don't like to keep wire on deciduous in winter. I would image you fine but wire can exaggerate very cold temps and you can lose a branch. Other wise I'm liking this tree!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it Aaron, haven't seen a mulberry with such deeply lobbed leaves yet. Nice, it grows nice for you.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have red mulberry in my area and they have very different kind of leaves, even on the same tree they can be varied
Yeah, I can see the leaf variability on my white one, almost every single leaf is different. My black mulberry has uniform leaves on the contrary. This Aaron's is lobbed nicely, reminding me field maple leaves.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
it's pretty warm in your winter right? or you have a green house, as I don't like to keep wire on deciduous in winter. I would image you fine but wire can exaggerate very cold temps and you can lose a branch. Other wise I'm liking this tree!
Our winters are pretty mild, generally in the 20s at night and between 40°-60° during the day. I keep most of my deciduous trees in my tree house which doesn't drop below 32° no matter the Temps outside and only gets about 5° warmer in the day, comparing to outside.
Thanks for the comment!

Aaron

Top Bottom