Black Pine Exposed Root, which front?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a little Black Pine exposed root I recently got. It was grown in the U.S. in a milk carton from seed and started in the year 2000. Which side do you consider more interesting, or which one do you like more? thanks

IMG_2505_zps0371242a.jpg

IMG_2508_zpsfc4cf9d1.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
#2 appeals to me more.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
#1 is the best, IMO, because there is nice "depth" to the roots with smaller in front of larger ones. The roots are obviously the focal point with this style, so that's where you start. The top (at this early point) is easy to modify.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
#1 is the best, IMO, because there is nice "depth" to the roots with smaller in front of larger ones. The roots are obviously the focal point with this style, so that's where you start. The top (at this early point) is easy to modify.

I agree. 1st pic for me too. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
#1 Id say . less visual folding in of the roots to distract the eye. 1 gives a more stable rootage

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
#2 is a clear choice for me not only because of the branching and ability to hide the chop, but because it has thicker roots in front and thinner ones in back. This creates more visual depth, as things close to you look big, and things further away look small. It is the same concept you use to make an excellent forest planting; largest/tallest trees in front, tapering to smaller trees in the back.

Top Bottom