Black Pine Forest

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
On a side quest for a persimmon , spontaneously there was a question I asked about overgrown seedlings to turn into a forest , these black pine seedlings were initially grown by this person in 2018. I haven’t seen too many black pine forests in early development , so I figured I might as well have fun and try starting one up that will once day be a nice tiny black pine forest. 669F7D46-0A95-474F-999D-7FF4C4AD194F.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the idea, but where does if go from here?
Let me show you in a few weeks when it’s safe to wire. Basically I want to keep it all together, while also wiring it’s initial styling that can also facilitate growth and development

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to rock your boat a bit, here is a (Douglas fir) forest view that your planting brings to my mind.

PXL_20220419_201506209.MP.jpg

Making this would "simply be" a matter of future candle pruning. Of course, I acknowledge that your forest has lots of other artistic possibilities. Many run through my mind. I look forward to seeing your vision and its becoming to reality.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just to rock your boat a bit, here is a (Douglas fir) forest view that your planting brings to my mind.

View attachment 449622

Making this would "simply be" a matter of future candle pruning. Of course, I acknowledge that your forest has lots of other artistic possibilities. Many run through my mind. I look forward to seeing your vision and its becoming to reality.
San Juan county? Mason? Looks like some evergreen huckleberry in there.
Nice shot of the bole zone. You can see different age classes and shade tolerants making their way into the mid canopy.

Degroot styled a jbp forest for the Olympia bonsai club a few years back. It was recently worked on at a meeting. If you checked the club page on Facebook you might find some ideas/inspiration.

Last edited:

Bonsai Pete

Sapling
Reaction score
On a side quest for a persimmon , spontaneously there was a question I asked about overgrown seedlings to turn into a forest , these black pine seedlings were initially grown by this person in 2018. I haven’t seen too many black pine forests in early development , so I figured I might as well have fun and try starting one up that will once day be a nice tiny black pine forest. View attachment 449594
Start with cuttings using a rockwool block. Gives the roots great division. 33 yrs in Bonsai and here is one of my 12 week old cuttings.

Attachments

• JBP.jpg
    JBP.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 117

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only advise I can give is that by growing them that close their roots will fuse together leaving you with a clump. The second example you posted looks much better. I am growing a clump style that I bought from @cmeg1 here, the base is already closed between the trees. Going to up-pot either in the fall or early spring depending on the weather. We are having some weird hot and dry summer season with no rain for almost 3 months now.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I see no
The only advise I can give is that by growing them that close their roots will fuse together leaving you with a clump. The second example you posted looks much better. I am growing a clump style that I bought from @cmeg1 here, the base is already closed between the trees. Going to up-pot either in the fall or early spring depending on the weather. We are having some weird hot and dry summer season with no rain for almost 3 months now.
problem w roots fusing either on this .

clintonio12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What season do you plan on reporting and creating the forest ? Do you have a pot or a slab picked out already?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love when people like this offer advice they have no idea what they’re talking about
While I agree that he sounds like and probably has no idea, the rockwool block route is actually pretty damn good for developing seedling cuttings aside from rootpouches and air pruning.

Here is the thread from the resident expert when it comes to Rockwool planting, and his results are nothing short of impressive.

Here is a pic of the seedlings kabudachi I bought from him July 2021, they are entering their third season this year.

1 gal rootpouch, seedlings were in their rockwool block and moved inside the bag surrounded by inorganic bonsai soil.

1678580712037.jpeg

Rootball from a 1 gal Rootpouch, on their second season.

1678580796939.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
While I agree that he sounds like and probably has no idea, the rockwool block route is actually pretty damn good for developing seedling cuttings aside from rootpouches and air pruning.

Here is the thread from the resident expert when it comes to Rockwool planting, and his results are nothing short of impressive.

Here is a pic of the seedlings kabudachi I bought from him July 2021, they are entering their third season this year.

1 gal rootpouch, seedlings were in their rockwool block and moved inside the bag surrounded by inorganic bonsai soil.

View attachment 476313

Rootball from a 1 gal Rootpouch, on their second season.

View attachment 476316
Im
Not doubting the rock wool and I know about the rock wool. My stuff already has bark developing and will be alot better once I put movement in the trees. My material is plenty fine. That’s great if you’re looking for girth I’m looking for finer smaller detailed trees mixed in .

D

Deleted member 32750

I like the idea, I actually started many projects like this with seedlings that I sprouted.

My concern with your material is how leggy the trunks are with not many buds along them. Are you planning to graft scions on the trunks? Another option would be to hammer with fertilizer and give 24/7 full sun and pray for back buds.

Top Bottom