Black Pine from Seed

Reaction score
A subtle note on growing pines from seed. Note that the seedling with the low branch is starting to gain taper, while the one without the low branch is looking like a "stove pipe". It's been my experience that you need to allow several very low branches to grow as sacrafice branches. Later on, you'll remove them (one at a time to allow for healing) to hopefully get a nice flare. Pines, however, don't want to grow low branches because they're busy trying to extend upward to compete for light, so you need to chop the seedling very early to force it to shoot low branches. Personally, I love to grow pines from seed to experiment with different shapes and forms with very low risk (it's cheap to grow pines from seed). Good luck and keep us posted.

The Pine Killer!,

JC

Attachments

• Red%20Pine%202.jpg
    Red%20Pine%202.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Red%20Pine%201.jpg
    Red%20Pine%201.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7721.JPG
    IMG_7721.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 178

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi there, I am new to this forum. I just got approved yesterday. You were the first person that I decided to read about. I have to go to work soon, so i have not read alot but i am very interested in your blog. I too also started a blog about growing bonsai from seeds. As soon as I get home tonight I am going to read your whole blog. thanks.

Matt
My blogg

Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum. I appreciate your interest in my blog and will certainly check yours out as well. I actually will update this thread when I get a chance because the cuttings look much different now. I should have some good blog posts in the next few months so stay tuned.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The JBP really take off in their second growing season.Mine were completly discolored from their 1st cold winter,but in spring they greened up and grew really well.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 151

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And if you cannot find the 6" colanders you should be just fine to plant straight away into the 8 or 9'' colanders which are more readily available.There is the 'Inomata' brand.They will grow into them at the end of their second growing season when you wire them low.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I thought I'd provide a few updates on the seedlings cuttings. They seemed to establish and grow pretty this year, though I am hoping next year they really take off.

JBP_seeds_10.30.2012_5.jpg

JBP_seeds_10.30.2012_3.jpg

JBP_seeds_10.30.2012_2.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am jealous,I did not make cuttings out of mine:p Honestly,they look great.You will probably have 1/2 inch trunks when they swell next fall.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I don't have any from this first batch but I did start about 20 JRP and 25 jbp at the end of February and I noticed yesterday two JRP trying to peek through. Spring must be upon us I hope I get a lot more to pop. Anyone else have pines sprouting yet? I think I actually see a third starting in the bottom right of the picture. I plan on making half cuttings and leaving half be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 104

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I started 42 and ended up with 7 survivors after learning about damping off the hard way. I did the seedling cutting technique about 2 weeks ago. They are recuperating on the front porch in 4 inch pots receiving about an hour of morning sun.

1mbrews8

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just bought some JBP seeds the other day and got in the mail yesterday! ;0)

cant wait to start!

Reaction score
Jbp

I jump in to. Delivered a few weeks ago. 1/4 dry in fridge (no stratification), 1/4 in sand, 1/2 in moist towel (bit mold problem now, so replaced the towel). Last year in sphagnum / charcoal was not a big succes. Hope to have some in a few years...

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well the pines I started from seed last year appear to have made it through the winter. I will hopefully pot a couple up individually this spring, but have been wondering if it might be better to leave them where they are to not set them back.

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If I remember correctly (Im at work right now), the book says to repot them after 2 years. I think it says for year 2 to just add wire and product some movement.

Top Bottom