Black pine from seed

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Norm!

Thanks for showing me the pics. It's amazing to see such nice healthy trees develop from tiny little sprouts...ah, if only my cedars of cyprus would be as big as your pines right now! They are only about 3 inches tall and JUST starting to really grow...

I really like the collander idea. Is the idea to get the maximum amount of air to the roots? I've seen this before but have no asked any questions about it.

BTW, have you figured out what species of pine you've grown yet? Looks nice and relatively short needled to me.

David

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,
in connection with the JWP,JBP book and the article of growing JPB from seed I wanted to know
after how much time do the seedlings turn violet and ready to be cut.

Regards,
Sassa.
If my memory is good, 3-5 weeks after they sprout.

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Norm!

Thanks for showing me the pics. It's amazing to see such nice healthy trees develop from tiny little sprouts...ah, if only my cedars of cyprus would be as big as your pines right now! They are only about 3 inches tall and JUST starting to really grow...

I really like the collander idea. Is the idea to get the maximum amount of air to the roots? I've seen this before but have no asked any questions about it.

BTW, have you figured out what species of pine you've grown yet? Looks nice and relatively short needled to me.

David

I'm still going under the assumption that they are Scots Pines. The colanders provide excellent drainage and also provide some automatic root pruning. When root tips exit the holes they die back and this in turn encourages greater ramification of roots deeper in the pot. These, or similar, are often used with collected material that may not have an adequate root system at first.

Norm

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm following Bonsai Today's publication regarding developing JBP from seed. This is the beginning of my fourth year and I thought I'd share some of my results. I started out purchasing 2-0 bareroot seedlings from Musser forests my first year and have continued to order at least fifty 2 year old seedlings every year from Musser. Three years ago I ordered Mikawa JBP from www.mishobonsai.com and have continued to use misho as my source for the past three years.

In the following images you'll see this year's batch of seedlings which emerged in late April and then you can see last years seedlings which had their tap roots cuts and were planted in four inch pots. You'll also see the seedlings from 2007 (two years ago) which have had a second root pruning, initial trunk shaping with wire and have been moved to 1 gallon Air-Pots (root pruning pots from Florikan). Next to the one gallon air pots you'll see the 2.5 gallon Air-Pots containing some of the bareroot seedlings from 2006 which have also had a second root pruning and wiring. So far, I haven't lost any of the pines during the second root pruning.

I think I've definitely come to appreciate growing from seed more than ordering the two year old bare-root stock. I know Brent prefers going the bare-root route because of his climate. Here in central NC I'm seeing an acceptable success rate with growing from seed... 80% of the seeds that sprout make it through the initial tap root pruning and I'm happy to report that I see about a 90% germination rate with the seeds from Misho.

Also, you'll see this year's attempt at grafting other JBP varieties onto bare-root stock. I was able to provide our club with over 75 three year old JBP for use in our grafting class this past February.

I tried nine grafts myself and it appears that five of them have survived. Now I'll have some Nishiki and Banshoho as well as a couple of grafted Japanese White Pine.

Hmmm... looks like I have the growing / propagating part down now. Only took four years. So now I just need to figure out how to make them into Bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_5818b.jpg
    IMG_5818b.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5819b.jpg
    IMG_5819b.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5820b.jpg
    IMG_5820b.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5821b.jpg
    IMG_5821b.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5823b.jpg
    IMG_5823b.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 121

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Cray13,

I love your pines! They look exactly like I want mine to look in the next few years. I actually have a grand total of 2 JBP seedlings that are now 3 years old. I grew some awhile back and had absolutely NO idea how to take care of them...I'm surprised that even these 2 made it! But i'm ordering an ounce of JBP seeds in January so I'll have plenty seedlings after that. I'm planning to do the root cutting thing for a good nebari and use as many as I can for grafting JWP and some JBP cultivars (mainly interested in 'Koto buki' black pine and a few rare White Pine cvs.)

I was going to order some Mikawa seeds from Misho but I decided against it; I'm going to get more things besides pine so I am ordering from F. W. Schumacher's (treeshrubseeds.com). Great place; I ordered 2 species of true cedar this year and I had excellent results. I can't wait to be growing more pines next year.

Love the pics, i'm doing much the same with what I have right now. I have some "yamadori" 4" flats (collected from the side of the road, ;) ) that have worked very well for me. I plan to use all of them and order many more so I have enough pots to put all of my seedlings in.

Can you describe more of the processes that you use to grow them? I'm interested in as much information about starting them as I can.

Great thread, excellent information, thanks all.
David

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Frank thats a good question that doesnt get answered well, my best advice is to read Brents articles a couple of times, one is more refinement, the other is just growing out. For the most part you let them grow but you do need to work those to be saved branches a little here and there. Then there is always grafting later on. - http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/index.htm

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I tend to remove branches that are intermediate - the ones low on the sacrifice branch will shade out the ones that you want to keep. And I either decandle or prune the branches that are keepers once a year or every other year depending on how it's growing. If you don't do some pruning or decandling then the branches will be too long with no sub-branching.

I find that the process of growing pines from seed is quite challenging - the biggest challenge is anticipating what a tree will look like 5 years in the future....and it's only after I've been doing this for five years that I really understand a little better. If I start more from seed now I think I would have a better result than from the first batch.

Top Bottom