Black pine growing advice for zone 9a

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Asking for a friend because I don't grow black pine. He has lost MANY black pines over the last 3 years. He's lost pencil-sized to broomstick-sized trees. They seem to flourish for a year or so and just start getting brown and die. I've gone to his house and he seems to be watering and fertilizing properly. He's repotted some and some are in the same nursery pots as when he bought them. He's just about at the point of giving up growing them. We've had a string of high 90 degree F days and that has increased the die-off. Anyone growing black pine successfully in a hot climate?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Asking for a friend because I don't grow black pine. He has lost MANY black pines over the last 3 years. He's lost pencil-sized to broomstick-sized trees. They seem to flourish for a year or so and just start getting brown and die. I've gone to his house and he seems to be watering and fertilizing properly. He's repotted some and some are in the same nursery pots as when he bought them. He's just about at the point of giving up growing them. We've had a string of high 90 degree F days and that has increased the die-off. Anyone growing black pine successfully in a hot climate?
They grow well into central FL, so I doubt it’s climate. We are coming off 15 days in a row of 90+ and all my JBP are fine. Several years ago we had a run of many 100+ days into October and no issues. What’s the soil like? Sun exposure? Fungal? Pests?

Attachments

• E56D1BD7-7012-4905-9399-A428B48D3114.jpeg
    E56D1BD7-7012-4905-9399-A428B48D3114.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 11

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Brian, his soil seems adequate. I'd say the trees get full sun for most of the day. I never inspected the trees for fungal or pest problems. I do suspect veneer watering...........not soaking the root ball completely.....because I've seen him do that on occasion.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Asking for a friend because I don't grow black pine. He has lost MANY black pines over the last 3 years.
I didn't know we were friends!🤣

My JBP all die because I overwater them constantly. 9 other species of pines seem to love it, they're thriving. But the JBP.. Dang.. I've sown over 500 seeds and zero made it.
Dark green, to yellow, to brown. Every single one, every single time: 2-3 years in my care and they're dead. Last one is in a pond basket but on scots pine roots, that one seems to be doing better.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I didn't know we were friends!🤣

My JBP all die because I overwater them constantly. 9 other species of pines seem to love it, they're thriving. But the JBP.. Dang.. I've sown over 500 seeds and zero made it.
Dark green, to yellow, to brown. Every single one, every single time: 2-3 years in my care and they're dead. Last one is in a pond basket but on scots pine roots, that one seems to be doing better.
I'd say we were friends, even though we've never met.
Now, overwatering..........that could be my buddy's problem. If he waters a bit too much, and we have a few days of constant rain (happens regularly), that might indeed be too much water for the pines.

Top Bottom