Black Pine Help, Please!

Victor52

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I have been growing bonsai for a while now and was wanting to get a black pine. How would a JBP fair in Texas? I live in Brownsville, Texas 78520, growing zone 9a-b. I have read all I could and most say they are heat tolerant to a degree and grow in the region 6-8. My worry is the winterizing they need. Could it be possible for me to grow one successfully?
Thank you so much!
Victor

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They grow great in Houston - zone 9b.

Victor52

Seedling
Reaction score
That's great to hear... Should I go for it? I guess I'll know until I try!

What are your average cold/hot temps?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I'm unaware of JBP needing winterizing. Japanese white pine certainly does but not black pine. They do great in southern California with an average low of approximately 40's and a high of low to mid 90's

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Average summertime highs are 95 in July (the hottest month). Average wintertime lows are 43 in jan (the coldest month). Being in Texas and if you think back to 2011, I'm sure you know that my pines have seen extended periods with temperatures significantly hotter than these averages. The summer of 2011 in Houston was the hottest on record with 46 days over 100 degrees including 24 days straight in August. Black pines seemed to weather it better than I did.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It is my understanding JWP is a tree from the mountains and is more cold hardy than JBP which is a coastal tree. However, JWP needs protection from hot weather. JBP do well in the heat and full sun.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Best,

Augustine
Central MD 7A

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am in Austin, TX and my JBPs seem to grow better under shade during the hottest summer months.

Being new to me, not sure if they just need to get acclimated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Although some books they say JBP only grow to zone 9 I have seen several doing very well as far south as Miami. Also a large Bonsai supplier in Ft. Myers has grown JBP for years and they do fine.

The only problem is with all that sun it will grow too fast :rolleyes:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That shouldn't be a problem, just de-candle later in the summer.

Victor52

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok you guys made feel a lot better. I going to give them a try.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dario,
It's not just you, and it's not a matter of acclimatization. Parvifolia néed some shade if not cloth in the summer in areas higher than 7b, I think. I had some serious issues with leaf scorch on mine until I started sheltering them under 30% with my Deciduous bonsai. Even in Japan, with general warming trends of climate change, for the first time ever some growers started using shade cloth for JWP. See this link:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://homepage2.nifty.com/miyamotoen/bonsai-turedurekusa-19/15.htm&usg=ALkJrhgvLMGHVhgKhlELmn_oTz0efEW99g
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Top Bottom