Black pine in VietNam

Reaction score
Here are some of my tree planting from seed two years ago, the comments to see if 2 years is too slow or not? thank you

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Thanks

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They look to be growing well.Are you going to grow out the leader while preserving/choosing final branches or are you just going to select final branches right away?I am a fan of both methods as I have seen finished product of both.I will leave a picture of mine that are 1year and 5 months old from seed.Yours actually look bigger than mine.
The one in the bonsai pot is going to start being trained the beginning of third year.The one in the colander I am going to let the leader grow out while preserving/choosing final branches for a bigger trunk.Your pines look great,keep up the good work and have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Reaction score
Vietnam may have temperate climate, black pine is not the holiday season, so it seems to grow faster where you live!

Thanks all

HDN

Seed
Reaction score
Hi trunghongmon,

Your black pines are so cute and healthy. Thanks for sharing!

Hope you kindly update yours trees' picts monthly for my reference.

Reaction score
To: cmeg1

- Climate tropical where I in have many sunny, because generation trees black pine will continuous development do not have season winter break such as where the you.

Sorry for a long time I do not come back here, today would update some latest pictures where I'm at

DSC_1235.jpg

DSC_1243.jpg

the new tree nursery
DSC_1239.jpg

6-month-old plants
DSC_0074.jpg

Happy 1st day of fun

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am I understanding this correctly? Your black pines survive continuously in your climate with no winter dormancy(break)?

Reaction score
Am I understanding this correctly? Your black pines survive continuously in your climate with no winter dormancy(break)?

Correctly such where you, regular seek me out much Nông for You should traversal info would Development Kha quick nên with traversal of all that you as Cây me do not have Nghi, but me lo lang such to the following you can will not be good idea for it .

DSC_1234.jpg

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I don't think everything came through in the translation but I did understand the answer to my question. Amazing that pines can survive without dormancy. What's the longest time that you've grown any pine under those conditions? And hey - we're in about the same time zone so we can reply to each other "live"! Awesome!

Reaction score
Well, I don't think everything came through in the translation but I did understand the answer to my question. Amazing that pines can survive without dormancy. What's the longest time that you've grown any pine under those conditions? And hey - we're in about the same time zone so we can reply to each other "live"! Awesome!

Nice to know you! Do not know what you are Region! I previously or to work in Guangzhou and Foshan.
I started to black pine is 3 years ago, now I have 3 years of age, Clause 5 plants, 20 plant 2 trees hundreds of years old and 16 months old, with one thousand trees 7 months old. My black pine seeds from USA and KOREA by the elder living in the U.S. (also in this forum that Bonhe nick) and I also take the advice from him for my tree, where climate my sometimes up to 40 degrees c, very hot climate where I only have 2 seasons as rain and sun.

My English is very bad so I need the help, so can not write properly, you expect sympathy

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I've seen Bonhe post about communication with Bonsai enthusiasts in Vietnam. I'm in Northern China right now, but also have trees in Zhejiang (浙江) which are currently being neglected... You're English is good enough - I can basically understand what you're saying. I also speak Chinese, and if you're able to write in Chinese (as I see you say you've spent time in Guangzhou and Foshan) I can understand that (though I understand that you probably want to write most of your posts in English since this is an English forum :p )... Great to meet you :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Happy to meet you too. Looks like you have quite a lot of seedlings to care for. Do you have trees other than pines?
Thanks for taking the time to translate to english so you can share with us.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trunghongmon,Daygan,

yes, they grow well in the tropics. My first tree is heading into 30 years of age.
Seed was a gift from Japan, and my second oldest tree, from seed, came from the U.K.
All of my other seedlings are from Japan, through Bonsai Boy on Amazon.

Many trees coming from Guangzhou, grow well down here.

Trunghongmon, your seedlings look great!

Our temperatures are only to 33 deg.c and that lasts for an hour or less, than it's back down to 22 deg.c or so.
For October to February we go lower to 30 deg.c by day and 18/19 by night.
The low temperature for these months is longer than the high.

I apologise, I cannot speak Chinese only sad English.
Good Morning.
Anthony

Attachments

• g_pine10.jpg
    g_pine10.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
Hi daygan, Anthony , ...!

Long time no see you up here! Wish you well okay Today I would like to share one of his other pines invite you to view offline!

You daygan, I say only a few puffs on Chinese social pumping only my friend, but if you can not write.

JudyB

I will share with 1 other trees when you have time. We Thank you for your interest

Please see one of our pine trees in recent times for the small group later

hoalancaycanh.com---dsc-0163(3).jpg

16 month old

hoalancaycanh.com---dsc-0166(2).jpg

30 month

hoalancaycanh.com---dsc-0167(2).jpg

24 month

hoalancaycanh.com---dsc-0160(1).jpg

12 month

hoalancaycanh.com---dsc-0158(1).jpg

24 months with special care regime

have fun

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reminds me of Da Lat pines

Nice work with the pines. The healthy looking pine trees remind me of those I see in Da Lat, Viet Nam. The cooler temperatures in the evenings, especially at certain times of the year, simulate dormancy and resting for the trees. When in the pine forests of Da Lat, I forget that I am even in Viet Nam. Keep up the excellent growing work.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the update about your pines! It's interesting to "watch" the progress. I just recently learned, via efloras.org, (and Tieball's post reinforces this information) that there are pines that grow natively in Vietnam. Have you ever tried any of the native pines, or are they not conducive to bonsai culture?

Reaction score
In Vietnam, there are many kinds of information, such as the 3 leaf, the second leaf (2 leaf types, there are 2 types of information MaWei 1, 2 is the ponytail (I can not remember what it's scientific name) but those are quite difficult to grow where I live and have a long needle is weakness and weakness against the black pine needles, so I planted pines where I almost died after one period. still black pine is well developed. tieball as you say in Dalat is one of the few, mainly the most 3 leaves, and in the highlands of Dalat is therefore quite suitable for it because of the cool air , also in Ho Chi Minh City where I live, the hot and humid climate.

This is one of the Japanese black pine tree my other, it is 3 years older than 1 bit.

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

TRHM11024.jpg

This tree I plan to do bun jin

THM2_zpsc80a03c9.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0366.jpg
    DSC_0366.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the first tree to be extracted from tree branches and 3-year-old mother, plant stems are cut 8 months ago

TRHM11033.jpg

TRHM11034.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Trunghongmon, Daygan, and Judy,

the second oldest, old image, only now starting to try and train it. From 94 or 96, seed from the U.K. but probably Japan originally.
Seems that the pine grows best down here in porous pots.
Good Morning
Anthony

Attachments

• black pine 2 .jpg
    black pine 2 .jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Thanks Anthony !

This tree is beautiful but its shell I found it not ruffled up your right

have fun

Top Bottom