Black pine loosing needles in June

PNW_Bonsai

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My black pine has started dropping some needles. Started around a month ago. Only the inner needles are yellowing and dropping similar to what I’ve seen in the fall, but I did not expect to see this in June. The buds have opened and seem healthy and there is a fair amount of back-budding.

details on the tree below photos

440EE21F-2706-4C39-8CF4-93B8FE9132B6.jpeg
B6E68F1C-722A-4E16-8946-37470495CE2E.jpeg
7329CDD3-776D-43B3-9EBB-7F72DEAD06CF.jpeg
08999D20-A687-4A0E-92B6-64314D221CEB.jpeg
background on the tree:

I acquired this black pine late last fall from someone moving. They said it is around 16 years old and didn’t remember the last time it was repotted. I repotted it in the spring and have let it recover since it was significantly root bound. Used a soil mix of akadama, volcanic grit, and peet/compost combined with the original soil. About a month after repotting I added some osmocote plus to the soil. We had a very wet spring here so I had moved it under cover to prevent it from being constantly damp.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Old needles turn yellow around now, totally normal. If you’re losing new needles, it’s a different story. (Yours is shedding 1-2 year old needles).

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with that Brian said but I would check for mites. The first photo shows spider web and the branches don't look smooth.... almost like it ask something clinging to it. Could just be the photo though.

PNW_Bonsai

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Old needles turn yellow around now, totally normal. If you’re losing new needles, it’s a different story. (Yours is shedding 1-2 year old needles).
Thanks! That’s what I was thinking, but wanted a second opinion

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My jbp are currently losing old needles as well. Can be a little disconcerting seeing this in the middle of summer.

Top Bottom