Black Pine Problem

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it might just be dried crystallized neem oil based on how I can break it off. I sprayed my pines last week and it hasn't rained since. Since its not on every needle maybe the neem pooled on some needles where the live needle meets the dead needle. But I could definitely be wrong if anyone thinks it's anything different lemme know. Obviously it's not in the best health but that's something I hope to fix this coming growing season.

I dont think its neem oil. I sprayed my JBP about a week ago and they look nothing like that.

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jim andI think this might actually be my first post on this site--although I've enjoyed viewing everyone's pics and comments for quite some time now. I have to agree that it looks like a hydration problem. The summer of 2012 was a rough one here in Missouri; severe drought and over 30 days with temperatures of 100 degrees or more. Even though I watered religiously, a few of my pines developed needles that looked just like yours. I have done very little needle plucking on them and the older needles still look like that although the new needles are fine.

BTW-- the cork bark trunk looks great on that tree. My trees are put away for the winter so it's kind of nice to see that some people can still view and appreciate their trees this time of the year.

Jim

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I dont think its neem oil. I sprayed my JBP about a week ago and they look nothing like that.

I meant the clumps of white waxy stuff on the needles i found might be neem. My neem was a bit congealed so I wasn't to fully dilute it properly so it would make sense there were a few small clumps when dried.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi, my name is Jim andI think this might actually be my first post on this site--although I've enjoyed viewing everyone's pics and comments for quite some time now. I have to agree that it looks like a hydration problem. The summer of 2012 was a rough one here in Missouri; severe drought and over 30 days with temperatures of 100 degrees or more. Even though I watered religiously, a few of my pines developed needles that looked just like yours. I have done very little needle plucking on them and the older needles still look like that although the new needles are fine.

BTW-- the cork bark trunk looks great on that tree. My trees are put away for the winter so it's kind of nice to see that some people can still view and appreciate their trees this time of the year.

Jim

Thanks that's great to hear. Here in CA we can keep our trees out year round even the more sensitive kind. It's rare we ever go below 35.

Top Bottom