Black Pine Seedling Cuttings

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
excellent "article" and congrats on showing how it's done! I'm a tad older for seedlings....so glad you're showing some success!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you pull it out of the pot, look for everything to be covered by mychorrazzae.
How careful are you with spray fungicides for a potential impact on mychorrizae?

I found an industry document that lists many fungicides as ok for endomychorriza, but not for ecto. The 3366, Daconil, and copper sulfate is “insufficient data” for ecto. Mancozeb is “avoid use” for ecto. Based on my lack of observed myco, I think I need to be more careful.

Thanks!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How careful are you with spray fungicides for a potential impact on mychorrizae?

I found an industry document that lists many fungicides as ok for endomychorriza, but not for ecto. The 3366, Daconil, and copper sulfate is “insufficient data” for ecto. Mancozeb is “avoid use” for ecto. Based on my lack of observed myco, I think I need to be more careful.

Thanks!

Good question. I’ve taken ver little precaution with that. I put Cleary‘s on the soil surface about this time of year and spray with copper when the buds begin to move. I have no idea if that damages the mychorrizal population.
s

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good question. I’ve taken ver little precaution with that. I put Cleary‘s on the soil surface about this time of year and spray with copper when the buds begin to move. I have no idea if that damages the mychorrizal population.
s
Same here. I get plenty of it in my pines soil, so it doesn’t seem to hurt them.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have some JBP and Red Pine seeds on their way; for cold stratification, can I just soak them for 24hr and sow outside for spring germination?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have some JBP and Red Pine seeds on their way; for cold stratification, can I just soak them for 24hr and sow outside for spring germination?

Seems like that should be fine for ground growing. Might it be better to start them in pots first?

Scott

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@markyscott How long are you leaving them in colanders between repots?

I have some that will be starting their 3rd season in the same soil in colanders. They spent their first two years in small pots. they were in a single colander in year 3 and some Roots started to poke out by end of season. The following season I didn’t repot but put them into a larger colander, so they are now in double colanders. Roots are coming through the bottom of the second colander after last season. I have no yellowing needles or signs that drainage is poor(Akadama, pumice, lava). I think I could get away with another season in this soil, but admittedly am on the fence if I should repot As I don’t want to have problems late season.

interested to hear your experience?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I have some that will be starting their 3rd season in the same soil in colanders. They spent their first two years in small pots. they were in a single colander in year 3 and some Roots started to poke out by end of season. The following season I didn’t repot but put them into a larger colander, so they are now in double colanders. Roots are coming through the bottom of the second colander after last season. I have no yellowing needles or signs that drainage is poor(Akadama, pumice, lava). I think I could get away with another season in this soil, but admittedly am on the fence if I should repot As I don’t want to have problems late season.

Sounds like you are set up to learn something by doing different things.

I would go back to the first colander. Taking off the second and trimming the roots back to the inside of the first. And keeping them airpruning there for a year. Then perhaps letting them go into another again, as a boost.
For me, this would be the best use of the second colander at all.

Sorce

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
59E105FD-64ED-4028-8599-35FCDFAC7E40.jpeg
92445940-8B68-4FFF-B7AE-E4639E718379.jpeg
hey @markyscott . Am I about right in thinking these are ready for the technique described in this thread? Or am I a tad early? Was thinking by the end of the week.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

NY - I’m sorry I missed your note. They were put in the pond baskets in 2017 and are in the same ones still. Roots stick out from time to time, but they haven’t needed to be repotted yet.

- Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s been a rough year for bonsai for me, but I’m happy to say that my JBP seedling cuttings have done well. At least there’s that. I’ve got 2 flats that are doing quite well. With winter in zone 7a fast approaching I’m trying to decide the best way to over winter. Can I leave them on the ground outside? Unheated garage? Bring them inside? Thanks as always mark. 2F3DB218-0A7B-402A-BA1F-7CC4C0AFCE0B.jpeg

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now it's just a matter of waiting. As I do this in the greenhouse in the winter, I usually apply some bottom heat and place the seedlings under light. When it get's reliably warm I move them out into the sun. Let them adjust over a couple of weeks, but you want them in the full sun as soon as possible. Sun + water + fertilizer = growth. Usually in the first growing season I don't get huge amounts of growth. Some certainly, but I think that they take a season to develop strong roots, but the second season the growth is really strong.

View attachment 115121

This is one of last year's seedling cuttings. I made the cutting in April of 2015, so it's about 1 1/2 years old. This year it's already had two flushes and it's set a strong bud. I might get a third flush this year. This winter I'll pot them up into colanders and wire the trunks. They'll go into a coarser soil so that I can water and fertilize more frequently. I'll select a couple of dozen that are exhibiting the strongest growth and give the rest away. That should give me plenty to play with - it's a fun and easy project that costs very little to get started.

Scott
Cool tutorial. Is it not necessary to place them in a humidity dome? Will that work or will it have a negative effect on the cuttings?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
to extend my growing season from ten months to twelve.
Sigh.
Growing season is ending here now. Looking ahead at about 5 months of standstill.

Might do some JBP seeds this winter. Thx again for the clear info here.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool tutorial. Is it not necessary to place them in a humidity dome? Will that work or will it have a negative effect on the cuttings?

Yes I think it helps. Be careful of damping off though.

- S

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds like you are set up to learn something by doing different things.

I would go back to the first colander. Taking off the second and trimming the roots back to the inside of the first. And keeping them airpruning there for a year.
after the above, you could also set the colander on top of a slightly bigger pot to let the roots grow down into the pot below. great way to thicken the trunk quicker.

Top Bottom