Black pine styling advice.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is my black pine and I was wondering what you all think about the current design. I haven't done much other than put it in a larger vessel, a rice basket from when I bought it from someone online. They told me the tree was bought from Julian adams.

I uploaded a photo of the one branch I think should go but I am not sure if I should wire the tree up and lower some of those upper branches or not. I also removed some of the candles ontop of the tree and left the lower ones on as I think I should allow yhe lower branches to thicken up and keep the top branches smaller.
I know I should do some more general research on black pines but figured it was worth asking the collective here what they think about my tree specifically in terms of design.

Attachments

• 20230427_175603.jpg
    20230427_175603.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230427_175559.jpg
    20230427_175559.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230427_175603.jpg
    20230427_175603.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 46

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree that you should do more research on growing black pines. They are significantly different to most other trees in pruning and development.
Your tree appears to be still very immature with a very thin trunk. Everyone does things different but I would be concentrating on developing a better trunk and ramification on some lower branches for the next 3-5 years. I guess that's the purpose of the basket.
Sacrifice branches usually feature heavily in pine development programs but I think the branch you have marked would not be a good candidate. More likely to create excessive thickening at that point than to be useful so I agree that it could be removed now.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree that you should do more research on growing black pines. They are significantly different to most other trees in pruning and development.
Your tree appears to be still very immature with a very thin trunk. Everyone does things different but I would be concentrating on developing a better trunk and ramification on some lower branches for the next 3-5 years. I guess that's the purpose of the basket.
Sacrifice branches usually feature heavily in pine development programs but I think the branch you have marked would not be a good candidate. More likely to create excessive thickening at that point than to be useful so I agree that it could be removed now.
Thank you for your input!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is my black pine and I was wondering what you all think about the current design. I haven't done much other than put it in a larger vessel, a rice basket from when I bought it from someone online. They told me the tree was bought from Julian adams.

I uploaded a photo of the one branch I think should go but I am not sure if I should wire the tree up and lower some of those upper branches or not. I also removed some of the candles ontop of the tree and left the lower ones on as I think I should allow yhe lower branches to thicken up and keep the top branches smaller.
I know I should do some more general research on black pines but figured it was worth asking the collective here what they think about my tree specifically in terms of design.

If this is mine I will put it in the ground(or a bigger pot) and let it grow more.
Go to BonsaiTonight blog and see more techniques on how to make it large while taking care of those buds below.

Thanks
Chris

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If this is mine I will put it in the ground(or a bigger pot) and let it grow more.
Go to BonsaiTonight blog and see more techniques on how to make it large while taking care of those buds below.

Thanks
Chris
Thanks. I will definitely check out thay bonsaitonight page!

Top Bottom