Black River Bonsai

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As previewed in the Need advice on new website thread I have been working on getting a small bonsai business up and running. Nothing fancy right now and probably not much the more experienced members here would be interested in but I do have some starter trees / pre-bonsai at good prices. I'm also re-selling April Grigsby pots and Adams-McKinney copper wire as well as some fun bonsai accouterments. Check it out!

www.BlackRiverBonsai.com

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Went to peak at the pots. Nothing up as of yet. Still relatively new...looks good for what I seen. Wish you the best.
I have three of her pots left. The rest sold. :)

She's working on getting me more to list.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As previewed in the Need advice on new website thread I have been working on getting a small bonsai business up and running. Nothing fancy right now and probably not much the more experienced members here would be interested in but I do have some starter trees / pre-bonsai at good prices. I'm also re-selling April Grigsby pots and Adams-McKinney copper wire as well as some fun bonsai accouterments. Check it out!

www.BlackRiverBonsai.com
Nice job!

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Page design is solid and I really like the apparel.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, I worked hard on it!

The county agricultural inspector was out today and certified me pest free so that's good news too! :)
Glad to hear that! And the trees, are they pest free too?🤣

Nice job on the website. I saw - I think in the care sheets - a letter missing in the word 'go' if my memory serves me right. That's the only thing I have for critique, which means you did a good job.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad to hear that! And the trees, are they pest free too?🤣

Nice job on the website. I saw - I think in the care sheets - a letter missing in the word 'go' if my memory serves me right. That's the only thing I have for critique, which means you did a good job.
I can't find that so I must have fixed it already. Thanks!

Reaction score
page looks good. maybe one day I could make a trip to see some of your trees. I just started making pots little while ago. I want to design a. page and also what licenses do you have to get, you get something for wholesale to buy wholesale trees? thanks Kyle

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
page looks good. maybe one day I could make a trip to see some of your trees. I just started making pots little while ago. I want to design a. page and also what licenses do you have to get, you get something for wholesale to buy wholesale trees? thanks Kyle
Different states have different requirements. I had to get a vendors license, nursery growers license, and chose to get Japanese beetle certification, gypsy moth certification, and registered a trade name.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you go on a website and it told you the requirements or you just knew what you needed
Good morning....nice gig,cable!

To answee rhis persons question....it is different per state.I only had to first buy the nursery liscence at around $40,then contact the USDA and tell them Im starting a nursery on my property.Then a person cam and inspected my operation.
I show and describe the plants I wanted to sell and the grow conditions like soil type indoors or outdoors and such then they made me a compliance form for the plants that had all best practices to maintain pest free for the specific pest quarintines our state had when it came to shipping throught United States.
They did all the research for me...I was impressed.
Then they give me the shipping lable that is required in all states that list these plants have been inspected and found pest free.
Just tell them u want a compliance form......phyto sanitary inspections are too problematic......

I only grow about 3-4 species currently and all indoor hydroponics ,so my deal is fairly straight forward and my treatment is only inspection of material really as it is never outside.
When I find a new plant I want to sell they ammend my conpliance form to sell it.
Compliance form gets redone every year as is the nursery liscence bought every year too....start a few months early as they are notorious for late responce to emails.
Very kind inspector though that takes the time even for my small 4 species indoor nursery!

Respect our agriculture!

Reaction score
Good morning....nice gig,cable!

To answee rhis persons question....it is different per state.I only had to first buy the nursery liscence at around $40,then contact the USDA and tell them Im starting a nursery on my property.Then a person cam and inspected my operation.
I show and describe the plants I wanted to sell and the grow conditions like soil type indoors or outdoors and such then they made me a compliance form for the plants that had all best practices to maintain pest free for the specific pest quarintines our state had when it came to shipping throught United States.
They did all the research for me...I was impressed.
Then they give me the shipping lable that is required in all states that list these plants have been inspected and found pest free.
Just tell them u want a compliance form......phyto sanitary inspections are too problematic......

I only grow about 3-4 species currently and all indoor hydroponics ,so my deal is fairly straight forward and my treatment is only inspection of material really as it is never outside.
When I find a new plant I want to sell they ammend my conpliance form to sell it.
Compliance form gets redone every year as is the nursery liscence bought every year too....start a few months early as they are notorious for late responce to emails.
Very kind inspector though that takes the time even for my small 4 species indoor nursery!

Respect our agriculture!
Thank you for all the information. I just want to make sure I am doing it right so I dont get in trouble later on. Im in michigan and i have been trying to look up how to register a business name. Should i do a LLC or partnership. for someone that is not a business grad i just like crossing all my t's and dotting the i's. I might not even sell for a year or two that is why I am just trying to get everything started. Also trying to figure out how to get wholesale prices. list goes on lol

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for all the information. I just want to make sure I am doing it right so I dont get in trouble later on. Im in michigan and i have been trying to look up how to register a business name. Should i do a LLC or partnership. for someone that is not a business grad i just like crossing all my t's and dotting the i's. I might not even sell for a year or two that is why I am just trying to get everything started. Also trying to figure out how to get wholesale prices. list goes on lol
The nursery liscence just requires a name.I personally like e business platforms.
I sell on ebay and if u make something like over $15000. U will recieve a tax paper from ebay .under that u r good generally.
If u report excessive ernings several years in a row the government will send u a letter or form to ask what u r doing and will take next steps to become a business.So maybe best not to deduct ur supplies until the federal government is actually concerned.

Reaction score
Got it great infornation. I will prolly sell online a lot also. I’m also looking so that I can get wholesale accounts to get supplies cheaper and stock.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you go on a website and it told you the requirements or you just knew what you needed
Ohio has a checklist for starting a nursery and then my county agricultural inspector filled me in on the rest as best he could and pointed me to the National Plant Board for other information.

Top Bottom