Black spot on Maple

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pseudomonas is MUCH more active in spring. I'm not positive this is pseudomonas. Give it as much sun as you can without shocking it and I would continue to feed it like you have been. (That's to say, don't feed it heavily now if you haven't already been.) I wouldn't prune anything, and I'd wire/position tips upward in the hopes that it would grow strongly. Don't get that black spot wet. I'd strongly consider a systemic fungicide, but I'd definitely treat it w/ a diluted peroxide spray on the black spot.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
grep -i pseudomonas *.txt
bacillus-amyloliquefaciens.txt:pseudomonas
bacillus-subtillis.txt:pseudomonas
biophospro.txt:pseudomonas
biosafe.txt:pseudomonas
phyton27.txt:pseudomonas
phyton35.txt:pseudomonas
phyton35.txt:pseudomonas Blight
zerotol.txt:pseudomonas

I'd consider using a systemic granular like Clearys/Infuse Granular in addition to (one of) those above.

One other thing I forgot to mention in my initial post: During dormancy, spray your trees w/ Lime Sulfur.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pseudomonas is MUCH more active in spring. I'm not positive this is pseudomonas. Give it as much sun as you can without shocking it and I would continue to feed it like you have been. (That's to say, don't feed it heavily now if you haven't already been.) I wouldn't prune anything, and I'd wire/position tips upward in the hopes that it would grow strongly. Don't get that black spot wet. I'd strongly consider a systemic fungicide, but I'd definitely treat it w/ a diluted peroxide spray on the black spot.
Hi bwaynef- can thist be cut out with a razor first?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not sure how best to treat the spot itself. If this is fungal, it won't have any problems sending hyphae into other tissue such that complete removal will be impossible. So a systemic fungicide in a strongly growing tree seems to be the best defense.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Subdue or the generic name mefenoxam is used for pseudomonas. It’s very expensive so you might want to see if you can “borrow “ some. It’s measured use is drops/gallon.
Many use it mixed in with clearys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom