black spot

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hello guys i am very distraught my hornbeam has aquired what i believe is black spot the new leafs where being born affected and some of the older ones where getting affected the leafs gradually get spotted and fall of and when you lift them on the underside of the leaves you could see a white fungus like substance i removed all leaves with this and sprayed it down with fungacide do you guys think it will be alright my maple is fine but i sprayed it down also

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hmm i just checked out my tree out again and after close the examination guys the little white spots under the leaves are moving are going crazy because of the fungacide i think its a neem oil extract i bought it at walmart can these little insect cause this

Reaction score
not sure if you have them where you live, but it sounds an awful lot like whiteflys, if you shake the leaves, do they take off flying ??? If not don't know without seeing...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How small are the "little white spots"? If they're barely visible, they could perhaps be mites. The "white fungus like substance" could be the webbing they produce. Tough to say without a pic.

Chris

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The "black" in your black spot is probably sooty mold. The insects are one of the sucking insects. Since they are white, they are either lace bugs or wooly aphids. I suppose they could be white fly, too -- IF they can fly.

These insects -- espcially aphids, and white fly -- create the sooty mold when a fungus grows on the honeydew they excrete.

A soap spray will get rid of them. I'm sure the neem will, too, but that's probably overkill. The sooty mold can be wshed off the leaves.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is it customary for the leaves with the dry black spot fall off thanks guys ill post pics tomorrow

Top Bottom