Black stuff on mulberry leaves

Reaction score
Finding this on some (older) leaves of my mulberry. Is this black spot? Something else? Tree is growing strong. General fungicide once a month and use of peroxide hydrogen when it rains.

image.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peroxide on the leaves?

On something that produces oxygen, I wonder if it's not too much oxygen?

Or too much fungicide.

Looks different than the larger black spots I associate with fungus...
But there are many fungi.

Sorce

Reaction score
Yes foliar spray with peroxide. Highly recommended by @0soyoung

Too much fungicide? Once per month?

Yes they are not spots. But from what I found black spot fungus does not always shows up as rounded spots...

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That lools like mite damage to me, starts off yellow and then turns brown/black.

Reaction score
That lools like mite damage to me, starts off yellow and then turns brown/black.
Mine did not start yellow. I also do not see any webs, but I will give a better look when I get home

Reaction score
Ok. Checked carefully and there are in deed red mites under some leaves. I do not have a miticide but I read online that sulphur is good and that I have. what do you guys recommend? Should I also remove the damaged leaves?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't recommend messing with red mites, I have always had them on my trees with zero problems. Last year I nuked em cause .. what the hell. And right after that I had a massive outbreak of little spider mites (the white ones that kill trees inside of 2 weeks). Every mulberry I see is covered in black spots, that just comes with growing a weedy fruit tree. I have a rubra that I was keeping looking pretty good but I missed a few days of peroxide spray and that's all it took for it to be covered in little black dots. Personally I think I might be done messing with mulberry

Reaction score
I don't recommend messing with red mites, I have always had them on my trees with zero problems. Last year I nuked em cause .. what the hell. And right after that I had a massive outbreak of little spider mites (the white ones that kill trees inside of 2 weeks). Every mulberry I see is covered in black spots, that just comes with growing a weedy fruit tree. I have a rubra that I was keeping looking pretty good but I missed a few days of peroxide spray and that's all it took for it to be covered in little black dots. Personally I think I might be done messing with mulberry
you think peroxide also keeps mites away?

I jet washed mine this morning. Let's see what happens in the evening. I may try some neem oil as well... Oh well!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Peroxide? not sure, they probably don't love it. BUT daily misting and watering onto the canopy keeps mites at bay. Dormant (mineral) oil worked for my mite problem. I applied once in fall, winter and one last time in spring when buds swelled and so far no mites. Don't know about using neem oil during the growing season. I have never done that so i have no advice there

Top Bottom