Black Thorn

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think if you can choose between the two branches to continue the tree with, you'll have a nice start. Good bark and good movement. I like Black thorn, but you just don't see them here in the states.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Based on that one photo, I'd choose left. But you should take pictures from the correct angle (straight across the tree, not from above) and all around the tree. You may find a reason to choose a different front, with the idea of taking one or the other off.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know anything about the species, but if you choose to keep the trunk segment to the left you immediately get a lot of movement in the trunk line...otherwise you're pretty much continuing the same line off to the right. Which do you prefer, do you have a style in mind?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That makes a lot of sense, I guess good old pierneef would work, I like the branch's that are there are sweet so I don't want to change that so it's not going to be so flat. I won't need to do wiring cause it has a lot movement naturally. It would be so awesome if I could get some of these acacias over to you

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like Black thorn, but you just don't see them here in the states.

Me, too. I wonder why you never see them here. Does anyone know?

I am growing one from seed at the moment. After 3 years and 3 rounds of stratification and scarification, I got one sprout this year and it's now about a foot tall and starting to harden off at the base. I sure hope it makes it.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Blackthorn is sub-Saharan? We're talking about prunus spinosa, sloe, yes? The kind the Irish make their shillelaghs out of? I'd always assumed the opposite. That it was a cold-climate plant.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love it. Got good potential for a Pierneef or umbrella. Don't cut it. You need them two splitting branches to achieve either style. You actually need more near verticals, but that's not easy as they don't back bud well. It's very early days so good luck with it... Keep it updated plz.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There you go, one of your peeps to set you on the path to the right way to do what you want. We here don't have that type of tree naturally, so sort of out of our thought process.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blackthorn is sub-Saharan? We're talking about prunus spinosa, sloe, yes? The kind the Irish make their shillelaghs out of? I'd always assumed the opposite. That it was a cold-climate plant.

That's crazy cuz was thinking that difficult stratification was part of acacia. At least our locust trees are that way.

I thought sloe too, but this feller is from S. Africa.
Monkey thorn, black thorn, dangerous place!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well I assume it's a sub-Saharan tree as south Africa is sub-sahara I could be wrong as I'm no expert but we lay below the Saharan desert which would make it sub Saharan and these trees are indigenous

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well I assume it's a sub-Saharan tree as south Africa is sub-sahara I could be wrong as I'm no expert but we lay below the Saharan desert which would make it sub Saharan and these trees are indigenous

Hahah I guess It can be a dangerous place, but so can New York or Chicago or any other big city, I love Johannesburg I really couldn't live anywhere else, but I most certainly won't go In to hillbrow at night than you asking for it, I live pretty close to the police station so only petty crime is a problem

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
"I'm loving it, but those thorns are killer"
Thorn. That's not a thorn. This is a thorn.
IMG_0416.JPG

Hardy Orange that I was air layering yesterday.
CW

Top Bottom