Black tips appearing on Itoigowa, any recommendations?

banemanot

Seedling
Reaction score
hey! I've been noticing some black/white tips appear on my juniper. Has anyone experienced this before? I think it might be a fungus.

Attachments

• IMG_5180.JPG
    IMG_5180.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7939.JPG
    IMG_7939.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9722.JPG
    IMG_9722.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 99

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you cut them? If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate.

banemanot

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the hint Forsoothe! Added. I received this joy from a friend in August and have not pruned it since receiving it. Although the spots are appearing on the tips, they are also appearing in lower portions of the foliage.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The interior will die over time. As the tree get bigger and the canopy moves outward, the whole zone of foliage moves outward, and the inner most foliage closer to the trunk dies. Foliage needs light to live, and as long as you see that the eldest foliage is that which is dying, and the outer, newest is thriving, that's normal. The outer dead tips are probably evidence of finishing the tree for selling. Normally you do that kind of tip pruning in autumn and new foliage grows beyond those tips in spring and all is well.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like improper pinching technique. Avoid the “grip & rip” pinching method of the previous owner and next spring it should be ok.

Top Bottom