Black & White photography

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes there is something about black and white that says much more than color can. Ensel Adams is one photographer that can use black and white very well.

My daughter likes this picture of herself very much. When asked why she likes this one, she says because it looks more "real" than the color ones.

Kids. ;)

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Sometimes there is something about black and white that says much more than color can. Ensel Adams is one photographer that can use black and white very well.

My daughter likes this picture of herself very much. When asked why she likes this one, she says because it looks more "real" than the color ones.

Kids. ;)
Will

She is a cutie Will!
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,
The silver/digital debate was heated when I was playing around with photography.I have a feeling that digital has slowly won over many of the pros.The manipulations made in the darkroom are so much easier with the many photoshop like programs now.Even the paper and inks to print on and with have made enormous strides in quality in the last few years.And the digital cameras pros use are getting better and better.

andy

This is probably true. There is also a debate between the purists who believe that there is a major difference between photography "as found" and "manipulated." This plays again into the debate as to whether or not photography is art, or whether it must be photo-illustration to aspire to that level.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hans,

You need the correct lighting and subject to give the correct tones and contrast.Composition becomes much more important,also.Black and white photography is much more difficult than color photography where the colors themselves give you some separation of objects and some "punch" and excitement to the picture..I gave up bonsai for a period of time a few years back.B&W photography became my medium of expression.
It takes a good eye,lots of patience,time,dedication,and a basic understanding of that darn "a" word.Dare I say it?....shhhhh, "art".The learning curve is no less steep than in bonsai if you really want to go beyond the hobby level.Plus..with a capital P.....talent and an imaginative spirit play a big part in going beyond the ordinary.

andy
I left out your self-deprecating comment for obvious reasons. The first one you posted reminds me of a Georgia OKeefe painting in b&w except for its deeper contrast and range of values.

My guess is that this is a squash blossom. Can you tell us more about the setup and camera settings?

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I found the photographs online and converted them into greyish with a touch of brown.Looking for motives I realized that indeed not every converted pic looked good.
It seems that in BW photography,as pointed out in a prior post,one has to really compose the picture in order to balance out different shades of light and darks.
I chose the two motives because they add movement and speach,so to say.I can hear the little birds desperately demanding to be fed,I can expect the moth leaving the flower any moment.
Look up http://www.clydebutcher.com/.Clyde Butcher is a world known local BW landscape photography artist.His photographs are silent but it is their inspiration that makes them loud.

-dorothy

ps.No pillow...:D

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The slideshow on this page is black and white. On these B & W enhances features like dead wood.

I also recommend a visit of the "galleria", with amazing trees. I specially recommend a very surprising snail-shaped oak: an ideal subject for controversies like "technique versus talent"...

Giacomo Pappalardo : http://xoomer.alice.it/giacomopappalardo/

Reaction score
The major advantage of shooting actual black & white film comes from the ability to use colored filters. Through the use of varying densities, or how much color a filter has. One can do things like darken the blue of the sky without darkening the clouds (such as in Andy's shot of the flowers hanging on the window) or a yellow or green filter to lighten foliage. On emight use a blue filter to shoot a person with blue eyes to lighten the eyes whille also darkening the lips, but must take care of blemishes as they will also darken.
Ansel Adams ahs been mentioned here as having some the best B&W photos ever shot. This is due largely to a few contributing factors. Firstly he shot with a very large camera (ie: film size) an 8X10 inch negative (as opposed to 24x36mm for a 35 mm camera) will produce a much higher quality image when enlarged. Also this large negative size allows more freedom to burn (allow more light to burn into the print, giving darker tones) and dodging (to dodge the light so that less is recorded in the print, making that area lighter) to achieve a fuller range contrast.
This full range of contrast is what Adams refered to as "The Zone System" wherein each tonal range is assigned a "zone". There are ten zones but only eight are really usefull,for conveying any textural information, as zone 1 and zone 10 are black and white , respectively.
Ansel Adams was also a member of a group of photographers who refered to themselves as "The f-64 Club", due to the fact that almost all of their images were shot using an aperature (the size of hole in the lens, that dictates how quickly a proper exposure is recorded onto the film, as well as how much is in focus from the camera to infinity, this is called "depth of feild") the higher the "f" number (f- for finestra-French for window) the smaller the aperature. So Adams was able to get almost the entire image in focus, without having to worry about "selective focus, as a compositional tool.
Add to this the fact that most (by far) of the work was done, not on site taking shots from the top of his SUV, but in the darkroom. In the darkroom he could burn and dodge, didge and burn, using masks cut from opaque paper to block certain areas of the image, allowing a great deal of control through which he could implement his knowledge of the zone system to achieve an image with the most ammounts of zones, in general. Once you have all the zones you have a dynamic tonal range, this leads to the beautiful images that we associate with Ansel Adams today.
Jeremy M.C.

Top Bottom