Blog post on (not) being shitty on the internet. Short read

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/...xYmc4VLWuWOLYQMHMcbuQI8Z3rrFTZUu06rGWoPv1BQPw

A fellow woodworker friend posted this on FB and I thought it was a simple but poignant read. I’ve been guilty of a few of the writers points and I’m working on being better! For example, asking questions with out initial research.

It’s from a woodworking journal, but still applies to this sight to some extent. I’ll also copy post the words verbatim.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As a somewhat-regular blogger, I relate to 90% of his post. I’ve never gone to the effort to track down a commenter by their IP address, but I do appreciate the “Reject” and “Delete” comment features I have as the administrator of my site. If I don’t want to share it, your comment will not appear on my site. His annoyances are true in a forum setting too. Nobody cares what you’ve read, only what you’ve done. Bonsai is a visual art. Show your work, or have no cred.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a somewhat-regular blogger, I relate to 90% of his post. I’ve never gone to the effort to track down a commenter by their IP address, but I do appreciate the “Reject” and “Delete” comment features I have as the administrator of my site. If I don’t want to share it, your comment will not appear on my site. His annoyances are true in a forum setting too. Nobody cares what you’ve read, only what you’ve done. Bonsai is a visual art. Show your work, or have no cred.
I can appreciate your comments and his. My first postings here were not great. Ive taken a cue from several senior members of this site, and I’ve made a point this year, to start progression threads on several trees. 5 total I think. To show that I’m putting in the work, or at least attempting to. I’ve also made a point to ask informed questions, researching first, then asking second for clarification. Though I’m not always great at that. I’ve seen quite a few posts from newer members lately who are posting pictures of trees from Lowe’s or Home Depot and essentially saying “style my tree”. I’d love to see a vision and a bit more thought first. But whatever, people need to start somewhere. Just my thoughts. I’m working on getting better in general.

Thanks for the response @Brian Van Fleet your blog was a great reference early on, and your hawthorn is one of my faves. ??

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s difficult to establish credibility on an anonymous Internet site. Very few of us post on here using our real names, and even for those of us who do, we try to maintain a bit of privacy. I know, that’s difficult these days...

I agree posting pictures of your work is a good way to establish credibility. So is being involved with bonsai activities “in real life”, like joining clubs, taking classes and workshops, participating in shows, etc.

Every now and then, you might even get some recognition!

22A9AF90-AA72-42C8-887A-4AD6EEA75ABA.jpeg420F1CE8-AF54-46BC-AE01-D9DB5E693459.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It took me years to get that point accros without people claiming I was being mean.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It took me years to get that point accros without people claiming I was being mean.
I’ve seen it happen on this site so many times. Show your work. Good or bad. For the most part you all just want to help. But if we’re not willing to do the work than what are you to do?? ??‍♂️

Top Bottom