Bloodgood Japanese maple help!

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What’s up guys I’m new with Japanese maples I have 2 bloodgood acers planted in the ground in training and they were doing really good pushed a bunch of growth in early spring and they started filling in really nice but about 2-3 weeks ago they started getting these weird dry yellowish spots on the leaves and it dropped some leaves can anyone help me with this? Is it something as simple as over/under watering? I should mention I fertilized em like 3 weeks before they started doing that here are a couple of pictures. Appreciate any help in advance thanks!

Attachments

• 48D81C3E-A047-4738-A440-69EC5434B74E.jpeg
    48D81C3E-A047-4738-A440-69EC5434B74E.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 112
  • EDF6CEE9-7C0E-4FE7-A97B-E3E4451BF5B5.jpeg
    EDF6CEE9-7C0E-4FE7-A97B-E3E4451BF5B5.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 115

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Could be leaf spot? If it is that's a fungal desease, make sure you pick up every leaf that dropped put in a bag and into the trash. If you don't pick up the leaves the cycle will start all over again

Could be leaf scorch, that's either becuase to dry and windy or to much sun

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
zone 10 is pretty harsh for them. Direct sun?

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Could be leaf spot? If it is that's a fungal desease, make sure you pick up every leaf that dropped put in a bag and into the trash. If you don't pick up the leaves the cycle will start all over again

Could be leaf scorch, that's either becuase to dry and windy or to much sun

intresting you bring that up it has been windy in my area and now that I think of it, it did start right after the high temps started in my area, I’ll make sure to collect the dropped leaves thank you! Appreciate it!

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Those clean margins and pure cellular death don’t look like a pathogen.

Droplets of water on the foliage in warm weather and direct sunlight are the cause I would bet on.

hmm 🤔 they do look very circular I’ll try my best to not wet the foliage especially since it’s been in the highs in my area, I’ll switch to watering in the afternoon instead of Mid day since I can’t water early morning thanks dude

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happy to help, but it really doesn’t matter when you water, as long as the tree’s needs are met, but as a general rule getting maple foliage wet is bad news.

In my neck of the woods where there is a lot of native and feral maples foliar diseases can be a big issue, most of these diseases require a wet leaf to be infectious.

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Umbrella and misters.... LOL
Transplant to your north foundation of the house and talk nice to them every morning.

umbrealla would probably be easier than to transplant them! 😂 should I wait to transplant them or is it safe to do it now? And as for talking nice to them in the morning it’s gonna be hard since I work early mornings, I could sweet talk em in the afternoon at sunset it’ll be more romantic

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Happy to help, but it really doesn’t matter when you water, as long as the tree’s needs are met, but as a general rule getting maple foliage wet is bad news.

In my neck of the woods where there is a lot of native and feral maples foliar diseases can be a big issue, most of these diseases require a wet leaf to be infectious.

shit I had no idea thank you! I’ll try my best to not wet the foliage really do appreciate all the help fellas! 👍🏾

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should do well in partial shade in your area unless subject to hot dry wind. Could be subject to leaf mildew(not related to present problem)if foliage watered. This has been problem with personal vine maples. Personal trees generally only watered on soil, not on tree.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I'm pretty sure this is a huge myth. I have Japanese maples of all kinds and I intentionally spray their leaves every single day in zone 10 and have never seen a single problem with any of them.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What’s up guys I’m new with Japanese maples I have 2 bloodgood acers planted in the ground in training and they were doing really good pushed a bunch of growth in early spring and they started filling in really nice but about 2-3 weeks ago they started getting these weird dry yellowish spots on the leaves and it dropped some leaves can anyone help me with this? Is it something as simple as over/under watering? I should mention I fertilized em like 3 weeks before they started doing that here are a couple of pictures. Appreciate any help in advance thanks!
Please post a pic of your potting setup. I would venture that it's a soil problem rather than a wet leaves problem.

I see bloodgoods all over God's green earth in full sun in zone 10 with no issue, so I highly doubt that is the problem.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
La Puente is not like Eugene, in spades. To it put mildly...

According to WeatherSpark:

Eugene...The rainy period of the year lasts for 11 months, from August 18 to July 13, with a sliding 31-day rainfall of at least 0.5 inches. The most rain falls during the 31 days centered around December 1, with an average total accumulation of 9.4 inches.

La Puente...The rainy period of the year lasts for 6.2 months, from October 17 to April 23, with a sliding 31-day rainfall of at least 0.5 inches. The most rain falls during the 31 days centered around February 18, with an average total accumulation of 3.2 inches.

Eugene...The rainless period of the year lasts for 1.1 months, from July 13 to August 18. The least rain falls around July 30, with an average total accumulation of 0.3 inches.

La Puente...The rainless period of the year lasts for 5.8 months, from April 23 to October 17. The least rain falls around July 5, with an average total accumulation of 0.0 inches.

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Should do well in partial shade in your area unless subject to hot dry wind. Could be subject to leaf mildew(not related to present problem)if foliage watered. This has been problem with personal vine maples. Personal trees generally only watered on soil, not on tree.

cool thank you for the information I appreciate it!

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Please post a pic of your potting setup. I would venture that it's a soil problem rather than a wet leaves problem.

I see bloodgoods all over God's green earth in full sun in zone 10 with no issue, so I highly doubt that is the problem.

I’ll get some pictures when I get home but when I put em in the ground I mixed into the hole a little bit of potting soil with organic mulch lava rock and small river pebbles also put a layer of the pebbles on the bottom for drainage

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Droplets of water on the foliage in warm weather and direct sunlight are the cause I would bet on
This is a myth! The focal distance needs to be above the surface in order for it to become a magnifying glass. Put water droplets on your skin and stand in bright sunlight. It won't burn.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a myth! The focal distance needs to be above the surface in order for it to become a magnifying glass. Put water droplets on your skin and stand in bright sunlight. It won't burn.
It’s not caused by lensing.

The leafs transpiration is effectively stopped by the drops of water, but photosynthesis is not, allowing a toxic buildup of free radical oxygen that damages cells.

Top Bottom