Blue Atlas Cedar trunk movement

scarriedoc

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can I make a few wedge saw cuts in the trunk of this blue atlas to get some movement in the trunk? (Cuts exaggerated in the photo.) Similar to a video I saw where Ryan Neil cut some wedges on a pinus sylvestrus and guy wired the heck out of it to get some bend into its very straight trunk? Was also going to lop it above several sets of branches once I've seen how it might take to the wedge cuts/bending.
Link to video with Ryan that I am referring to:

Attachments

• 1227211359~2.jpg
    1227211359~2.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 103

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Atlas cedars that size are still quite bendable, though they are also quite 'springy'.
The alternative is to treat most of the present trunk as a sacrifice that you'll wind up lopping off and then using one of the lower branches to be the next trunk section, like done to develop most any pine bonsai, most famously, JBP. Nevertheless, you do have the opportunity and leverage to possibly produce a nice curve to the lower trunk, by bending it now (or in late winter / early spring).

Of course, you could do the notching thing, but beware that it will take many years to 'heal' - that is, a new ring/layer of wood gets created each year. It will probably take several years for a layer to completely cross the cut and several more for their to be enough wood that the join will not be 'too fragile' for a tree trunk. It is best to do this kind of thing as Ryan did it - on the underside of a branch (then gravity helps rather than hinders).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree in the video hasn't survived as far as I could find out.
not surprised. I keep seeing people talking about this, seeing videos. And never see any follow-up on these trees. I would love to see an example of a tree where this was applied, which resulted in a great-looking trunk & living tree. I doubt many examples exist.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Where did info come from:confused:?
Somewhere in that youtube thread, I found the owner of the venue - if memory serves me right it was somewhere in Poland. He commented, either on a blog somewhere or on the youtube thread itself, that the pine didn't live. It spent a year in poor health before it gave up.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen Ryan cut JBP (I think) nearly in half to bend the trunks, and as far as I remember they survived just fine. Not sure what the failure rate would be for this type of technique but it must work well enough/often enough that people are willing to do it to some pretty nice trees.Think I saw Bjorn do it too? But not sure about that. Whether it would be a good idea to do it to an atlas cedar, I have no idea.

I'd probably try it out on some stock material of the species before attempting it on a good tree.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On one of these, I would first consider the idea of wrapping with raffia, applying a heavy gauge copper and using some type of fulcrum or rebar technique to bend as needed. These trunks being as smooth as they are, the raffia technique would not disturb the appearance at all, but two large wedge cuts that will take years to heal will always show for what they are.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally notched Doug Fir about 3/5 through to bend. Kept wound pulled tight together, covered in wound sealer. Grew together completely 2 years😊. Tree grew normally during process. Have also done 1/2 diameter cut on Lodgepole Yamadori with better result. If done neatly never fear the reaper.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally notched Doug Fir about 3/5 through to bend. Kept wound pulled tight together, covered in wound sealer. Grew together completely 2 years😊. Tree grew normally during process. Have also done 1/2 diameter cut on Lodgepole Yamadori with better result. If done neatly never fear the reaper.
Any pictures of the cut made, and how it has healed?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
never fear the reaper.
will-ferrell-cowbell.gif

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Any pictures of the cut made, and how it has healed?
I'd love to see some pictures of the notch after healing as well but I don't think @Potawatomi13 has ever posted a picture here. Perhaps 2022 will change that?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
pics or it didn’t happen you big phony baloney

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd love to see some pictures of the notch after healing as well but I don't think @Potawatomi13 has ever posted a picture here. Perhaps 2022 will change that?

LOL...one of the "all talk" crowd here at bonsainut.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mas Imazumi made Atlas Cedars into cascades by drilling a small hole through the trunk. I haven't read about the technique, but it apparently allowed for more severe bends with minimal scarring that will eventually become more or less invisible.

IMG_20211010_122553.jpg

Top Bottom