BLUE ATLAS CEDAR

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
HELP NEEDED WITH INFO ON WHERE TO BUY A NICE, UPRIGHT BLUE ATLAS CEDAR, 18-30" HIGH WITH DECENT BRANCHING FOR BONSAI. NONE AROUND HERE AT ALL. APPRECIATE THE HELP!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Actually, I have talked on the phone with Jim several times in the past and am aware he is paramount with the Atlas cedars, but I can't afford his prices and I would like to create my own from good understock. Seems to be hard to find. Thanks for the suggestion with Jim though.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have found it’s a tough variety to find ungrafted. I would probably try and find liners and throw them in the ground.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Liners are seedlings, usually 1-2 years old and grown in small cells. They are common in the forestry and nursery trade

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Liners are seedlings, usually 1-2 years old and grown in small cells. They are common in the forestry and nursery trade
Ah yes. I can't seem to find anything at the moment.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I found a 4' high blue atlas un-grafted. Before I purchase this, I better ask some questions:

1) If I chop at let's say 18", will it bud back on bare wood below the chop?
2) Possible to air layer the top off verses chopping?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a 4' high blue atlas un-grafted. Before I purchase this, I better ask some questions:

Evergreens generally don't backbud on bare wood. You have to leave some green below the chop and even so, you can wind up killing a conifer treating it like a deciduous tree. What you can remove depends on what will be left that is still growing. If there are low branches, say with six inches of the ground, it may be OK, but if all branching is high, say above where you plan to remove the trunk, you will likely kill the tree.

Air layering conifers is also more difficult and time-consuming. Could work, but if you have to ask if it can be done, it's probably not going to.

Last edited:

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

I haven’t got them to backbud or air layer. I don’t think it’s impossible. You could try grafting, or be patient and look for better quality material

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if you have Lowes in Oregon, but I see them here at Lowes in ~5gal containers, around 4-5' tall. Not sure what they charge.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hello. I've got blue atlas as well as cedar of lebanon. Located in Washougal so maybe not too far for you. They are about 3- 4' tall some maybe 1" -1.25" thick. Could send you some pics. Have quite a few to pick from. All grown from seedlings no grafts.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Having about no luck with the Atlas cedars. Is there a different cedar that would make good bonsai that would be more available if you know. Thanks!

Bucky50

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello. I've got blue atlas as well as cedar of lebanon. Located in Washougal so maybe not too far for you. They are about 3- 4' tall some maybe 1" -1.25" thick. Could send you some pics. Have quite a few to pick from. All grown from seedlings no grafts.
Do you still have these cedars?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
August,
Next time you are in Boise jordyns nusery off of cole road had some decent sized ones(2gal 5gal?).. im not sure what the price was…but they are having a 40% off sale .
I didn’t look at them, so I didn’t see if they were grafted or not.
Best,
Paul

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
August,
Next time you are in Boise jordyns nusery off of cole road had some decent sized ones(2gal 5gal?).. im not sure what the price was…but they are having a 40% off sale .
I didn’t look at them, so I didn’t see if they were grafted or not.
Best,
Paul
Thanks for thinking of me Paul. Not sure when I will be over, but will certainly take a look. Hope you and your wife are good and life is good for you too. Best, August

Top Bottom