Blue Atlas Cedar

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dinh, Smoke also wondered about this. All I can tell you is that in person, it is pretty darn blue. The needles are the same color as my colorado blue spruces... But I looked back thru the pics, and I can see why there is some doubt, as it does look greener in the photos. I don't have very good camera skills. (or a very good camera, just a point and shoot)

Thanks for the info Judy. Here is a picture of my blue cedar that I won from auction few years back. Enjoy.
Best,
--Dinh

Attachments

• BlueCedar2010.jpg
    BlueCedar2010.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 223

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey dinh, that is very nice. Can you post a pic of the trunk possibly? We can trade if you want... :rolleyes:

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey dinh, that is very nice. Can you post a pic of the trunk possibly? We can trade if you want... :rolleyes:

Hi Judy,
Here you go.
--Dinh

Attachments

• BlueCedar101.jpg
    BlueCedar101.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 165
  • BlueCedar102.jpg
    BlueCedar102.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 140
  • BlueCedar103.jpg
    BlueCedar103.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 163

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ooohhh nice one! Have you posted this one before?

Do you get a lot of winds there? I make sure mine is totally wind shielded. I place mine in the cold greenhouse after the temps dip to freezing for more than a day or so. They are really not too tolerant of cold, but I think that wind with cold are probably the killer. Do you have a cold frame, or somewhere you could overwinter it that it would stay right around freezing out of the wind? Maybe an unheated garage with a bit of outside light? I would think about a cold frame with a simple heater cable to keep it from getting too cold if that is the only option.

Remember that potting time with these is crucial to time correctly. And then make sure you protect from freezing temps after the potting. They don't like their roots being messed with too much.

Let me know if you have any questions about heat cables or mats, I do have lots of experience there.

Thanks Judy for all your recommedations. I do have a couple of heat mats. If I keep it in a unheated garage and place the mats underneath the tree, won't it dry out the roots?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You need to make sure you get a thermostat, so the mat only comes on when it's really cold, so that it's not keeping the tree from going into dormancy. It just wants to keep the roots from getting too cold, but not from freezing necessarily. Yes, you may have to check it to make sure that it's not getting dry, but you have to do that anyway... Getting it set to the right temps is crucial. Most cheaper thermostats don't have controls that get very low, but there are some that go down into the teens, and below.

Dinh, thanks for the additional pics, what else are you hiding away over there??? That is a very nice cedar.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Rishi, start a new thread for this in order to preserve Judy's, and I would be more than happy to give you some advice on the species.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Repotted this tree this spring with a different angle, and also simplified the tree a bit.
Once again, this is a tree that is much better in person, not sure why some trees read better in photos than others.

Attachments

• IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3435.jpg
    IMG_3435.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 107

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Repotted this tree this spring with a different angle, and also simplified the tree a bit.
Once again, this is a tree that is much better in person, not sure why some trees read better in photos than others.

Hi Judy,
Some trees are funny. In pics, they just don't look like they do in person. Sometimes it is the camera giving it skewed perspective. For example, make sections seem larger than they are. However, sometimes it is the camera that is telling the truth.

I like this cedar. I think pic 3 makes a good front. In pic one, the tree looks like it is growing drastically to the left and then right.

Rob

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Rob, I was looking at that angle, and took a shot of it because it looks like a likely new front for next time round.
J

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like picture #3 as the new front. If this is done, you might consider losing the lowest right branch. I think with the previous front this may have been a back branch but it seems that, if #3 becomes the new front, losing that branch would bring more balance to the composition.

Thanks for letting us take this journey with you!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So it seems like the more upright version of this tree from post 16 might be more the direction I should be going? It almost seemed boring to me, so I worked on more movement. I'll take a look with these suggestions in mind,thanks for the replies!

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
So it seems like the more upright version of this tree from post 16 might be more the direction I should be going? It almost seemed boring to me, so I worked on more movement. I'll take a look with these suggestions in mind,thanks for the replies!
Hi Judy. Just found this thread on your Blue Atlas Cedar and am wondering if you still have it? It’s been a while since the thread was updated so I’m guessing not ..... Would love to know why it looks like 6 years down the road

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually I do not have this anymore, I might have passed it on to someone on the forum, don't really remember it's been long enough... Anybody have this one?

Top Bottom