Blue Atlas staying in the b-nut family

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gratz! Also I am glad it is in good hands :)

Grimmy

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Both the tree and pot are beautiful. How tall is the tree from the apex to the bottom of the cascade?

Rob

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Love BA Cedars. I bet it will like Duluth weather. Hear of other up here that say ample yet even storage humidity is important to avoid winter needle damage--I have never had one though. Lovely, but not so sure about the aerial root on this one.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love BA Cedars. I bet it will like Duluth weather. Hear of other up here that say ample yet even storage humidity is important to avoid winter needle damage--I have never had one though. Lovely, but not so sure about the aerial root on this one.

When I got my first cedar from a fellow MN resident, I was warned to make sure they get enough water in winter storage. They do seem to dry out faster than other trees in the cold frame. I have not had much trouble with winter needle damage. My cold frame is full and reasonably humid.

As for the root...I do like it in terms of the visual cue of the "struggle" to hold on. It adds to the story. The question...does it add enough to the story? Valid question.

As for it's dimension. The tree itself is 13 inches from apex to bottom of cascade. The pot is 6 inches tall and the composition from left to right is 18-19 inches.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad that this one is still going to be seen here. I hope that some other lucky folks get some of that good stuff that Will is letting go.
Be cautious when repotting, make sure you don't do it if the root tips are beginning to turn white, as that is too late. You might get away with it, but the tree is likely to blow off all old needles, and scare the crap out of you. If healthy, no big deal, it'll put out new growth, but better to repot early than late with these....

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad that this one is still going to be seen here. I hope that some other lucky folks get some of that good stuff that Will is letting go.
Be cautious when repotting, make sure you don't do it if the root tips are beginning to turn white, as that is too late. You might get away with it, but the tree is likely to blow off all old needles, and scare the crap out of you. If healthy, no big deal, it'll put out new growth, but better to repot early than late with these....

I don't have any repotting plans. I do have several cedars that I have repotted numerous times. They are all thriving.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry if the unsolicited repotting advice was unwanted, or offensive to you. I wasn't trying to say that you don't know what you are doing, or anything of the sort. Just something I've learned along the way with these, and thought to pass it on...

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry if the unsolicited repotting advice was unwanted, or offensive to you. I wasn't trying to say that you don't know what you are doing, or anything of the sort. Just something I've learned along the way with these, and thought to pass it on...

No offense taken, and maybe someone else reading this needs to know, so...thanks!!

Reaction score
That is an amazing tree. *jealous*
I like the tiny yellow flowers you added in the one pic (violets?). I'd almost suggest you add another two or three clumps (if they are violets), maybe some purple ones/violet ones? To give it an alpine look.
Cheers.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is an amazing tree. *jealous*
I like the tiny yellow flowers you added in the one pic (violets?). I'd almost suggest you add another two or three clumps (if they are violets), maybe some purple ones/violet ones? To give it an alpine look.
Cheers.

The little yellow flower was a weed that came along with the moss. Not sure if it will come back or stay small. The next step is to add something to the holes the rock provides.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you thought about bringing the very end of the main branch away from the rock a little? It's a beautiful tree, no doubt about it. I just wonder if you could make it even better by seeing more of the rock.

54997B68-8CAD-4DA4-8716-4C645363D5E2_jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom