Blue jacaranda seedling question

gfreak

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey y'all, this might be a dumb question. But wanted to make sure i didn't miss something and accidentally kill the tree lol.

I planted this as a seed maybe 5 months ago, and saw pretty steady growth the whole time. about 3 weeks ago it just kinda stopped. didn't have any new sprouts at the top. It still seems like the part of the trunk that's hard is growing. but no new actual height/sprouts.

The temperature really hasn't dropped much. (we've had maybe 1 night 50 degrees) averaging 90f-65f day/night. Would that have caused it to go dormant already?

the spot i took the picture in is not where it sits, I have it outside on a porch. (brought it inside for the picture since it was dark)

thanks again.

1666838815326.png

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Late summer over there so I would not be concerned about it stopping. Keep it in full sun and let it dry a bit between waterings. It looks healthy to me.
Over here they keep their leaves all winter and do nothing until late spring when most of the old leaves fall off and it's starts to grow and flower.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey y'all, this might be a dumb question. But wanted to make sure i didn't miss something and accidentally kill the tree lol.

I planted this as a seed maybe 5 months ago, and saw pretty steady growth the whole time. about 3 weeks ago it just kinda stopped. didn't have any new sprouts at the top. It still seems like the part of the trunk that's hard is growing. but no new actual height/sprouts.

The temperature really hasn't dropped much. (we've had maybe 1 night 50 degrees) averaging 90f-65f day/night. Would that have caused it to go dormant already?

the spot i took the picture in is not where it sits, I have it outside on a porch. (brought it inside for the picture since it was dark)

thanks again.

View attachment 460617
I would keep an eye on the temperature, it's a sub tropical tree and prefer warmer temperatures. I have read that they don't like going under 15C/59F, but i'm not sure how accurate this is, as they grow like weeds here and we definitely get temperatures below that. Keep it in a area shielded from cold wind an frost and you should be fine, barring temperatures not dipping too low. Mine is a bit further along, they will be 12 months old November and i kept them outside all year long

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Days are shorter, its time for plants to rest.

gfreak

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Late summer over there so I would not be concerned about it stopping. Keep it in full sun and let it dry a bit between waterings. It looks healthy to me.
Over here they keep their leaves all winter and do nothing until late spring when most of the old leaves fall off and it's starts to grow and flower.
Perfect! thanks a ton!

gfreak

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would keep an eye on the temperature, it's a sub tropical tree and prefer warmer temperatures. I have read that they don't like going under 15C/59F, but i'm not sure how accurate this is, as they grow like weeds here and we definitely get temperatures below that. Keep it in a area shielded from cold wind an frost and you should be fine, barring temperatures not dipping too low. Mine is a bit further along, they will be 12 months old November and i kept them outside all year long
I've read some conflicting things. i've read people saying their full grown (in the ground) could deal with 0f without any trouble, and then people saying it doesn't like under 60 like you said, and a bunch in between.
This week is going to be the first week where it'll consistantly be under 60 at night so I was planning on bringing it inside at that window to be safe. The only area I have outside is a 3rd floor balcony.
Think I should wait till it gets colder than that before bringing it in?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea, i completely forgot about this for some reason. My mind was just thinking temperature lol.
Understandable, but most plants react to day length which normally precedes cold weather.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've read some conflicting things. i've read people saying their full grown (in the ground) could deal with 0f without any trouble, and then people saying it doesn't like under 60 like you said, and a bunch in between.
This week is going to be the first week where it'll consistantly be under 60 at night so I was planning on bringing it inside at that window to be safe. The only area I have outside is a 3rd floor balcony.
Think I should wait till it gets colder than that before bringing it in?
Yes, the full grown trees definitely can handle colder temperatures, but be careful this new location should be unheated and preferably away from air conditioners. But rather err on the side of caution regarding something you are unsure about.
Ie check the temperatures for that day, if the day time temperature is fine only bring it in a night or when you see the temperatures dropping low the entire day, bring it in. Preferable to leave it outside, but it will definitely not handle freezing temperatures.
Although they are surprisingly hardy as one of mine almost died twice now because of crappy watering from house sitter, but second time was touch and go, so need to make a different plan for next holiday.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have two in pots in south Florida. It has been as low as 39° F and they have been fine. Theyve never lost all of their leaves but they do look pretty ratty until spring comes around.

gfreak

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks a ton again y'all!
Yea bringing it in at night when possible is what i'm planning on doing. I messed up and had it indoors the first 3-4 months of its life unfortunately lol.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pretty nice growth! Looks like starting indoors may be a good thing. Mine made it about 2 inches above the soil and died. At least a dozen more never sprouted, so I gave up on trying to grow these. The 2 inch one was started indoors and died after moving into the CA heat.

gfreak

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pretty nice growth! Looks like starting indoors may be a good thing. Mine made it about 2 inches above the soil and died. At least a dozen more never sprouted, so I gave up on trying to grow these. The 2 inch one was started indoors and died after moving into the CA heat.
thanks! Yea if i did it again i'd probably plant em a bit earlier in the year. i had 5 or so sprout, and 3 died and 1 only has about half the growth as this one. This is the 1 that seemed to do the best.
I'm assuming y'all's heat is similar to ours.
I had a buncha seeds i planted but I really only had 1 black pine sprout, and 1 crepe myrtle that's doing pretty well from the batch. The heat killed a lot cause I didn't really know what i was doing haha.

Top Bottom