Blue Orchid Tree

Tscott28

Seed
Reaction score
I have had a Blue Orchid tree for a couple years and I find myself a little intimidated by it. Mainly because there is no information on repotting this particular species. Does anyone on this site know anything about them?

Attachments

• 20180801_154110.jpg
    20180801_154110.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 39

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am contemplating buying one, how is yours doing?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Cool tree though. Survives indoors?
The one I was looking at is from Wigert's. Andrea there said it would overwinter fine indoors as long as it had decent light.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The one I was looking at is from Wigert's. Andrea there said it would overwinter fine indoors as long as it had decent light.
There's a difference between "overwinter" and "preform well", or anything else positive. I've had one for ~ten years and love the tiny leaves. My granddaughter calls "buttprint" tree. It has never flowered and looks good from July 1str thru October 1st. I can't bring myself to shuck it. I'm weak.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There's a difference between "overwinter" and "preform well", or anything else positive. I've had one for ~ten years and love the tiny leaves. My granddaughter calls "buttprint" tree. It has never flowered and looks good from July 1str thru October 1st. I can't bring myself to shuck it. I'm weak.
So are you saying it's not worth getting? Do you keep yours in a greenhouse or in the house for the winter?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Indirect sun in greenhouse and part sun outdoors. It's very hard to shape a tree that is only happy ~3 months a year. All the Orchid Trees are too leggy to begin with. The full size one is the archetype long-internode tree. I had one for several years and had to keep chopping back trying to overcome that, but that left very few leaves, like a big leaf Maple tree. Beautiful foliage, but few leaves. The dwarf will grow sideways, kinda , but it still grows the compound leaf with each pair of 8 or 10 pairs of leaflets having a longer extension of the petiole/center stem than the previous pair, and the first pairs keep enlarging as the stem extends adding new pairs. If you allow full extension you get to 8 or 10 pair, they are too long and too big. They droop nicely at the tip, but that obscures the view of open space between layers. I'm guessing that if you had a tree ~18" or 24" tall, it might be in scale. My tree is maybe 10" and I can't seem to get visible layers. I probably should just let it grow to get it bigger, but that uses more space than I'm willing to devote to a non-preforming tree. A greenhouse is only so big...
DOT 20190718_084501 a.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine looks much different. It has teeny, tiny leaves. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine is actually a dwarf bauhinia grandidieridwarf leaf.jpgdwarf orchid.jpg

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still have to research it, but it really jumped out at me, so I took it home. I actually just went there for pots:)

Since I notice you post a lot of tropicals, I have to ask...do you miss not having them inside this time of year? I love watching them grow and flower and all that, and obviously the trees themselves are better off outside, but the vibe in my plant room is WAY off. Really looking forward to bringing them back in in the fall. Wondering if other folks ever feel this way.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yup! That's it, dwarf bauhinia grandidieri. Mine has been kept on a short leash for ~maybe 15 years. Glad someone fell in love with it. I hated to pass it on, but my greenhouse is very small and I'm forced to pick and choose things I really love as everything gets bigger.

My houseplants go outdoors, too, for the same reasons. I remove all leaves and force new tops that look good all winter. I'd bet that @Carol 83's is taller. (Take a picture with a scale.)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I still have to research it, but it really jumped out at me, so I took it home. I actually just went there for pots:)

Since I notice you post a lot of tropicals, I have to ask...do you miss not having them inside this time of year? I love watching them grow and flower and all that, and obviously the trees themselves are better off outside, but the vibe in my plant room is WAY off. Really looking forward to bringing them back in in the fall. Wondering if other folks ever feel this way.
Not sure who you are directing this to, but I much prefer my trees outside. They mostly make it through winter OK, but only the BRT's don't pout. Plus, my husband tends to get surly when I move them in and they shed leaves and flowers. They are just much happier outside.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yup! That's it, dwarf bauhinia grandidieri. Mine has been kept on a short leash for ~maybe 15 years. Glad someone fell in love with it. I hated to pass it on, but my greenhouse is very small and I'm forced to pick and choose things I really love as everything gets bigger.

My houseplants go outdoors, too, for the same reasons. I remove all leaves and force new tops that look good all winter. I'd bet that @Carol 83's is taller. (Take a picture with a scale.)
beer.jpg

Top Bottom