Blue Pacific Shore Juniper question...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just discovered what I "thought" was one is actually 2 stuffed in a 1 1/2 quart nursery container. We are just breaking into 55f + nights and was going to trim is and pot it today.
The online information says they transplant well but from previous experiences learned to ask here instead. They are really root bound and my question is will they take the separation well now or should I wait until Fall?

Thanks in advance!

Grimmy

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope you get an answer because I have two but haven't repotted them yet. One is going to be a pretty nice Shohin one day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bump.

I don't know for sure, but Based on my cracky repot, and the way my other juniper is doing, I'd do it now.

I'd like to see the blue. I see them all the time, but with big needles, (always needles?) they would have to be grown out a lot.

Did you find a sizable 2? I do love the foilage.

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bump.

I don't know for sure, but Based on my cracky repot, and the way my other juniper is doing, I'd do it now.

I'd like to see the blue. I see them all the time, but with big needles, (always needles?) they would have to be grown out a lot.

Did you find a sizable 2? I do love the foilage.

Sorce

I am hoping to get to it this afternoon. My main concern was I will have to disturb the roots a bit more then I care to. They are both small, perhaps 9 inches tall extending out like a natural cascade 10 - 12 inches. The bases are small - a little more then a 1/2 inch from what I can see. I just planned on separating them into 2 tall plastic pots and letting them run a couple of years to see how they do. I have only picked up those and a small boxwood to work on since the wipeout of everything here. My Wife encouraged me to at "least get something" to hold my interest. Probably will get some small Quince, Cotoneaster, and maybe a Crape depending on the availability but not certain if I will get anything else this season.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hope you get an answer because I have two but haven't repotted them yet. One is going to be a pretty nice Shohin one day.

I did not get a reply but I did separate and slip potted both last Wednesday. The roots were very intertwined so I landed up cutting a lot of them apart. Usually if a juniper does not like what I do they show it fast but two days later here and they look ok. Pretty certain they will be as long as I keep them cooled off a bit in our suddenly hot weather. Time will tell I guess :oops:

Grimmy

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did not get a reply but I did separate and slip potted both last Wednesday. The roots were very intertwined so I landed up cutting a lot of them apart. Usually if a juniper does not like what I do they show it fast but two days later here and they look ok. Pretty certain they will be as long as I keep them cooled off a bit in our suddenly hot weather. Time will tell I guess :oops:

Grimmy
Junipers kinda scare me when repotting for some reason. This week I'm saying goodbye to one of the Junipers I collected last September. It did very well up until about two months ago. Then it just started declining very fast. :mad:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in our suddenly hot weather

Yeah, not long. It went from like 85 to 60 with a rain and been cold since.

Another crazy season.

Sounds to be good! Pics?

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds to be good! Pics?

Quick sloppy picture a few minutes ago. Yes those are 5 pound salad containers! :p If they grow and survive the Winter well I just plan to plant them in a couple of "old style" tall cascade pots and use them like bookends on a bench or corner pieces for interest. They were both stuffed in a quart or so nursery pot and looked like a fat mound so they have some air and light now. Not certain if I will actually "work" them ever except for trimming but time will tell -

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1526.JPG
    GEDC1526.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 71

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Junipers kinda scare me when repotting for some reason. This week I'm saying goodbye to one of the Junipers I collected last September. It did very well up until about two months ago. Then it just started declining very fast. :mad:

I have only played with a few junipers and my experience was they don't really need repotting often. I have a couple that grew from 2 inches to 2 foot in 3 inch nursery pots and just this season(3-5 years later) have slip potted them into 6 inch nursery pots because they were so top heavy(no other reason). I found prior to that for ME they do not like a lot of root work in general.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's mine:
Cool - I cannot seem to capture the blue tips in any photo but I like the color. Here I am just hoping for decent growth right now and they seem to be slow but steady :confused:

Grimmy

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool - I cannot seem to capture the blue tips in any photo but I like the color. Here I am just hoping for decent growth right now and they seem to be slow but steady :confused:

Grimmy
Mine seems to respond very well to pruning. However, I'm going to repot it in the spring so it's probably had its last prune for the year. The blue seems to come out more in the winter.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine seems to respond very well to pruning. However, I'm going to repot it in the spring so it's probably had its last prune for the year. The blue seems to come out more in the winter.

I have seen no sigh of back budding so if these live I will let them get bushy before I do anymore trimming. My plan is to keep them as simple cascades for decoration in the old style tall pots as I really like the foliage.

Grimmy

Top Bottom