Blue Pacific Shore Juniper Styling advice

palafr01

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After years of lurking I've finally decided to create a post here on Bonsainut! I have this Blue Pacific Juniper (J. Conferta) that I recently acquired and I was hoping to get some styling advice. I was thinking of creating an informal upright with it but I'm open to suggestions. I didn't find many posts on the site concerning this species specifically so I was curious what everyone here thinks. The plan for the rest of the year was to finish opening it up where it is still congested, and fertilize it until next spring when it can be wired and/or re-potted.
20200523_154813.jpg20200523_173236.jpg20200523_173239.jpg20200523_173247.jpg20200523_154730.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You can go on the Internet sites by Bonsai Mirai and Ese En bonsai and watch all the demos you can get your hands on by Bjorn Bjorholm and Ryan Neil, both individuals have extensive videos about how to creat a bonsai and how to start the process. You have only offered fragmentary details of your tree making it impossible to give you any type of styling suggestions. That doesn't change the fact that you most likely need advise on what to keep and what to lose in the cleaning process.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6ab
I like the bones. The forwards crook in the trunk looks good. At what height...
does that 1/2" looking stub that is pointing to 11 o'clock come in at?

While there's plenty of bones pictures, a few pictures of the entire project would also be good.

When doing this as you are, reduction while still in nursery soil, get the tree super strong and happy
next year prior to potting up. Don't just assume you're going to pot it up next year.
Let the tree tell you, that it has sufficient foliage to repot whenever that happens.

I started this thread March of 2018 and it still is in the same can/soil. I don't like the subject in front of me
when I look at the one I have. More of the foliage than anything. Must need more perpetual time/care developing than other junipers I have.
Yours however has a much better trunk about it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

palafr01

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1 month in and its doing great. Lots of new growth all around. Did remove some stuff weeks ago that didn't have a place in the design and in order to increase light exposure into the interior. There are some branches that I think will need to go/ be replaced. But for the most part I feel it is at a good place for the rest of the year. Sorry for the delayed response been kinda busy.

@Vance Wood thank you so much for the resources they have helped tremendously. By following Ryan's tutorial I dug a bit further and found the real nebari and it is fairly decent. Sorry about the pics they weren't the best ill try to better in the future.

@Japonicus thanks for the advice and I read your thread. It gives me high hopes for this tree. Currently it stands at about 7 inches tall. I not too sure what stub you were referring to. Is it on the apex or was it the sub I removed on the first branch?

@sorce thanks for the warm welcome

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This tree has great potential.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6ab
It gives me high hopes for this tree.
Ha...it should because it looks like crap next to yours 😄
what stub you were referring to
1593376210037.png
Sure, the one here pointing to 11 O'clock. What height does it come in at from the soil?
I would guess 4"+ no more than 5" from the soil?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would like to point out that as this tree has potential for good; it has almost equal potential for disaster. Shore Junipers have a reputation of not being to dependable and do not follow the rules as applied to other species of Junipers. I don't mean to diminish all of the good feelings amassed for this tree presently, but to point out that the tree may be a bonsai prodigy today that fact does not guaratntte it will float through life without a htich. Look in the galleries on all websites you may have access to, for evidence of the species in the bonsai liturgy. Short story: this is a tree that there is scant information and success is going to be dependent on your personal effort and observation.

Top Bottom