Blue Satin Hibiscus Syriacus

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one year with this Hibiscus syriacus aka "Rose of Sharon" sold as "Azurri Blue Satin" variety. This was purchased for half price at a box store last October for $10 total. There was a wiggle in the trunk that I thought I could work with after removing some branches and changing the planting angle.
IMG_20191015_181252.jpg
Repotted:
IMG_20200405_183528.jpgIMG_20200405_190350.jpg
Summer growth and flowers:
IMG_20200813_161717.jpgIMG_20200812_184250.jpg
Autumn:
PXL_20200925_204754211.jpg
It's too tall presently, and I don't claim to know what I'm doing with this species. The leaves are large, ramification is difficult, and wounds healing is all but non-existent. But, it's bombproof and enjoyable.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have one year with this Hibiscus syriacus aka "Rose of Sharon" sold as "Azurri Blue Satin" variety. This was purchased for half price at a box store last October for $10 total. There was a wiggle in the trunk that I thought I could work with after removing some branches and changing the planting angle.
View attachment 333285
Repotted:
View attachment 333286View attachment 333287
Summer growth and flowers:
View attachment 333289View attachment 333288
Autumn:
View attachment 333290
It's too tall presently, and I don't claim to know what I'm doing with this species. The leaves are large, ramification is difficult, and wounds healing is all but non-existent. But, it's bombproof and enjoyable.
Pretty color!
I like the wiggle too....let it grow for several years unchecked in a larger pot or in the ground.....planted on a tile to keep that nebari spreading.
Let it gain some girth and then go from there.

I will say, I dunno how the species responds to hard cutbacks and trunk chops.
I'd say, if it is known to respond poorly to a trunk chop, I'd let it grow as much as possible while pruning and keeping some green to work it back slowly.

If it is known to push shoots from a stump.....grow grow grow and chop.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty color!
I like the wiggle too....let it grow for several years unchecked in a larger pot or in the ground.....planted on a tile to keep that nebari spreading.
Let it gain some girth and then go from there.

I will say, I dunno how the species responds to hard cutbacks and trunk chops.
I'd say, if it is known to respond poorly to a trunk chop, I'd let it grow as much as possible while pruning and keeping some green to work it back slowly.

If it is known to push shoots from a stump.....grow grow grow and chop.

The species can survive even radical chops, but for aesthetic purposes, it heals wounds so slowly as to be negligible. Cut paste might help a little bit, and I'll try that in the future.

I need to spend some time with this to figure out where it's headed. My original thought was to keep it slender/feminine, but even that would be aided by a couple of years in the ground, I think. Here's a leafless virt:
hibiscus-syriacus-virt.jpg
That level of twigginess at this size with this species is probably not reality though.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi!
Nice have fun its a great IMO underrated species!

Ive got a big trunk for some years now it might be even so that you will be suprised about the rammification ;)
Also it does heal wounds certainly smaller ones: the trick is to have plenty of growth above the wound and it will close!

Heres the thread on my hibiscus maybe youll find some usefull info there

Good luck and have fun!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those flowers are WAY nicer than the standard light pink I have lol.

Thinking back, I believe I've kept mine in the greenhouse house over winter. Right now mine has taken some light frosts and lost its leaves.

Does this species require a cold dormancy, or can I cut it back now and toss it in the greenhouse to grow over winter? Google says its hardy in the ground 5-9 but... nothing to be found on dormancy requirements or cold tolerance in a pot.

What do you do with yours during winter @defra @canoeguide ?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does this species require a cold dormancy, or can I cut it back now and toss it in the greenhouse to grow over winter? Google says its hardy in the ground 5-9 but... nothing to be found on dormancy requirements or cold tolerance in a pot.

I don't know if it requires a cold dormancy, but in my climate, it's going to get it.

I've only had this tree through one winter, but my method is to place all my hardy trees together with some wind protection and mulched with shredded leaves. I do this along a north wall of a garage where they are less susceptible to false springs or less likely to suffer frost cracks from the winter sun. In your zone 8, I don't think I'd worry much about just leaving these on the bench or ground.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those flowers are WAY nicer than the standard light pink I have lol.

Thinking back, I believe I've kept mine in the greenhouse house over winter. Right now mine has taken some light frosts and lost its leaves.

hmmm mine goes yellow fall color and then drops its leaves and stays outside all winter unprotected and probably needs winter dormancy i have hibicus syriacus and that should be the winter hardy variety.
im not sure what cultivar you have Joe some hibiscus stay green or arnt realy cold hardy so i would be carefull and do some more research on the cultivar you have :)

Top Bottom