Blue spruce after haircut

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a wild collected Colorado blue spruce after some pruning and wiring today. This tree got set back a year and a half ago when some rodent excavated the roots to make a home. After emergency winter repotting, the tree sulked for a season, then this season had strong shoots with multiple buds. In August I cut back to a bud or a branch with a bud, and wired. Next spring it should go into a nice reddish colored unglazed rectangle pot.
. 4E0BE627-5E7B-4ED0-8DE9-D566689953FA.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a wild collected Colorado blue spruce after some pruning and wiring today. This tree got set back a year and a half ago when some rodent excavated the roots to make a home. After emergency winter repotting, the tree sulked for a season, then this season had strong shoots with multiple buds. In August I cut back to a bud or a branch with a bud, and wired. Next spring it should go into a nice reddish colored unglazed rectangle pot.
. View attachment 257728
Quite nice. I miss the one I had, maybe I'll have to find another...

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Judy. The color is what draws me to these trees. My dad loved blue spruce, planted them all over his farm.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy. The color is what draws me to these trees. My dad loved blue spruce, planted them all over his farm.
Do you have any more out there to be collected? I would be interested in a shohin size or one that has the bones for shohin...;)
I love the color of blue spruce too, mine in my landscape are dying off sadly. It's become too wet in the area I had planted a stand in. It's the new change in weather here, our whole ecosystem is changing in front of my eyes.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm the last person to be asking for a better picture as I've posted some real low quality shots......but......I can barely make anything out!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I get out that way once or twice a year, but can never carve out the time to get to his place. Of course, purchasing Mr. Schlafer's fine material might be best done without the other half of the "pocketbook" present!;)😁

Looks REALLY nice!!! @davetree

Reaction score
Your tree is wonderful. Its really representative of some of the older spruce that often have tops break/die off out in the mountains.

Todd finds some nice stuff.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree is wonderful. Its really representative of some of the older spruce that often have tops break/die off out in the mountains.

Todd finds some nice stuff.
Thanks, I have to get a better picture of the trunk. I agree, it looks just like a spruce with the top having died back, which then has the new leader snake up from the side.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm the last person to be asking for a better picture as I've posted some real low quality shots......but......I can barely make anything out!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I get out that way once or twice a year, but can never carve out the time to get to his place. Of course, purchasing Mr. Schlafer's fine material might be best done without the other half of the "pocketbook" present!;)😁

Looks REALLY nice!!! @davetree
I will get a better pic of the trunk and branches for you if that is what you mean.

Top Bottom