Blue Spruce cuttings

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm moving pretty soon, and have a blue spruce at my current home that I really really like. As you all know it is not an ideal time to get cuttings, etc. How can I get blue spruce cuttings to root indoors. Will they root with the bottom in a water bottle like some other types of trees? I've had him in there about three hours so far. Will this work??

Attachments

• 20191125_155739_HDR.jpg
    20191125_155739_HDR.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 33

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems that situation will have too many drastic changes to be successful.

I'd throw em in dirt in the shade where they are stable and don't need much watering.

Got a yew to root that way over winter once.

Sorce

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a five gallon bucket I am over wondering my juniper in. Could I just stick a couple spruce cuttings inside the bucket around the juniper over the winter? Also can I root thick branches. Do you have any farther tips?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Will they root with the bottom in a water bottle like some other types of trees? I've had him in there about three hours so far. Will this work??

It won't, don't waste your time.

Spruce are very difficult to reproduce from cuttings, only professionals can do it on some species, and anyway they'll never root in water like tropical plants.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think @Cable has Dirr's book. Maybe he can share some info.

I would get Dirr's book if I were you. I hope to get it before spring myself.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think @Cable has Dirr's book. Maybe he can share some info.

I would get Dirr's book if I were you. I hope to get it before spring myself.

I don't have it but I have access to it at work. But, I can say this: we take millions of cuttings each year for our own propagation. Not a single one is a spruce. That tells me the odds are not good.

Top Bottom