Blue Spruce Deuce (twin trunk)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I just wanted to start a thread for my new Colorado Blue Spruce. I picked it up for $19.99 at a local nursery. I think I know the direction I’m wanting to go in, Twin trunk, super tall, slender, Alpine look. It stands about 2.5ft tall

When would the best time be to do an initial styling of this species? I’ve read anytime from August to mid winter (6 weeks after the summer solstice?)

B082F876-C6F5-4D28-A5AE-ACC6BC8E9FF8.jpeg8E7157D3-AEBB-4369-8A05-5879E42DA9D1.jpeg

VERY tough virtual of planned silhouette. I’ll want less density as well.
18372DA7-554F-4EAE-9B78-243CA2B7669E.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wanted to start a thread for my new Colorado Blue Spruce. I picked it up for $19.99 at a local nursery. I think I know the direction I’m wanting to go in, Twin trunk, super tall, slender, Alpine look. It stands about 2.5ft tall

When would the best time be to do an initial styling of this species? I’ve read anytime from August to mid winter (6 weeks after the summer solstice?)

View attachment 253927View attachment 253929

VERY tough virtual of planned silhouette. I’ll want less density as well.
View attachment 253930

Nice score for sure. Does it appear healthy? Are there new buds only at the tips or are there buds further down each branch? It’s my understanding of spruce that you Def don’t want to cut back a branch if there are no interior buds. The branch will eventually die. Also, as I read before, only 1 insult per year on spruce. ie. repot, styling, heavy cutback, etc.

Looks super healthy though and I’d be surprised if there aren’t interior buds!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After its established in a small pot and bonsai soil IMO.

Sorce
I humbly disagree. In my opinion, you can do a first styling now. Doing some branch selection and wiring should be fine given the tree is in good health.
People are often concerned with getting trees into a small pot for bonsai. My teacher says that a tree needs to be 80% of it's way in development before putting it in a bonsai pot. A small pot severely slows down the development of a tree.
Work on developing the foliar portion of the tree for the next couple of years. Feed it well in the interim and keep it thriving and healthy. Then think of repotting it in a small pot.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also, as the previous poster says, when cutting back growth make sure you leave existing buds. For instance, you can cut back on a branch to where you have a couple shorter secondary branches. Leave those to develop and hopefully you’ll get some back budding closer to the trunk. Don’t remove much more than a third of the existing foliage. You’ll stress the tree. Good luck and show us your progress.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought the clearance rack Blue spruce a couple of years ago at Lowe’s. Spring of last year I cut about a third of the roots off and took some of the sides of the root ball off and put it into a better soil. I left probably about 50% of the original root ball. In October I drug the firewood to a workshop. Threw it in the corner because I had no intention of doing anything with it. A well-known artist threw it up on the table and hacked at least half of the foliage, if not more, off the tree, just to see if something could be done with it. I haven’t touched it this year, but it back budded like crazy and is growing great. I’ll probably do a little bit more wiring and light trimming to it in the next month or two, take some more of the rootball off next year. My photography sucks.

859A16EC-1B2B-48C9-A43A-5EBCDF25D403.jpeg18F946CA-1CEE-473A-8675-D60018F0089A.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I humbly disagree. In my opinion, you can do a first styling now. Doing some branch selection and wiring should be fine given the tree is in good health.
People are often concerned with getting trees into a small pot for bonsai. My teacher says that a tree needs to be 80% of it's way in development before putting it in a bonsai pot. A small pot severely slows down the development of a tree.
Work on developing the foliar portion of the tree for the next couple of years. Feed it well in the interim and keep it thriving and healthy. Then think of repotting it in a small pot.
Its more about getting it established into a proper substrate before styling.

Why spend the time and effort to wire and style a tree to only have it die after its initial repot? (HBR)
I agree with styling second.

Now, as for getting tree into a bonsai pot, I basically agree with you.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Its more about getting it established into a proper substrate before styling.

Why spend the time and effort to wire and style a tree to only have it die after its initial repot? (HBR)
I agree with styling second.

Now, as for getting tree into a bonsai pot, I basically agree with you.
Yes. The exception is when the tree is in soil that is likely to result in root rot. Otherwise, just monitor the soil moisture. You can stick a chopstick in the soil to see how damp it is.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes. The exception is when the tree is in soil that is likely to result in root rot. Otherwise, just monitor the soil moisture. You can stick a chopstick in the soil to see how damp it is.
Agreed, but I'm also intersted in getting nebari development underway asap.
Nursery material for landscapes is always buried too deep and holding too much water.
Especially for me, because I am forced by my work schedule to water my trees on a timer.....in other words, over-water....

If I was able to stay home everyday and tend to my trees the way we all wish we could, I would.....and I would also not be so worried about the nursery soil.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Understood.

But we have to be really real about when that repotting should then take place.

I don't think folks have the patience to wait until that tree is fully healthy again to withstand a repot.

Does your teacher teach this for spruce?

No matter what anyone says...
It is better to get it in a small pot first.

I don't believe it slows development.
See Walter's photos.

Sorce

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Understood.

But we have to be really real about when that repotting should then take place.

I don't think folks have the patience to wait until that tree is fully healthy again to withstand a repot.

Does your teacher teach this for spruce?

No matter what anyone says...
It is better to get it in a small pot first.

I don't believe it slows development.
See Walter's photos.

Sorce
I don't know Walter Pall personally but I'm willing to bet most, if not all, of his trees spent a significant amount of time in the ground before ever seeing a pot. In fact, many are yamadori. And when they come out of the ground I seriously doubt that he puts them straight into tiny pots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know Walter Pall personally but I'm willing to bet most, if not all, of his trees spent a significant amount of time in the ground before ever seeing a pot. In fact, many are yamadori. And when they come out of the ground I seriously doubt that he puts them straight into tiny pots.

I don't like talking about other people like this.

Does your teacher teach this for Spruce specifically?

What I've found is most people teach backward ass shit that doesn't make sense anyway....or, there is always something missing.

I've never found anything missing from Walter's approach and teaching.

This here....

There is a difference between a nursery conversion and Yamadori.

We shouldn't talk about Eddy's Nursery Material with chat of Yamadori.

Sorce

Top Bottom