Blue Spruce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this tree from Andy Smith last year. The trunk and the bark are what drew me to the tree but it has some design challenges. I would love to get some thoughts from some of the experienced Spruce people on how they would approach this tree. Especially, the problem area in the upper right of the tree.

Here's the tree at the current planting angle.
20200411_135622.jpg

I've been considering what it would look like standing more upright.
20200411_135523.jpg

Close up of the problematic area at the top right.

20200411_135808.jpg

And looking in from the right side at that area.

20200411_135735.jpg

My inclination is that the fat upright branch at the back has to go. I've reduced it a lot in preparation for that but haven't done the deed. I'm also not totally enamored with the straightness of the branch in front of it but I think I can hide that with foliage and making it shorter.

How would you approach this tree? Do you think it would benefit from grafting some additional branches on it? Or leave it sparse to make the trunk the primary focus? Would you plant it more upright and lose that back branch?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it does well till the end of the year Is consider removing the heavy piece in the top.

It'll grow out nice this.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when was this cut back? Ive got a spruce that Id like to develup but need this sort of treatment I think. I never realised they could take such a drastic cut back like this

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I would just want to build up strength in the tree, then start thinking about redirecting energy. Seems like it is very sparse for now, so no rush to cut off more.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when was this cut back? Ive got a spruce that Id like to develup but need this sort of treatment I think. I never realised they could take such a drastic cut back like this

I haven't given it a drastic cutback. I've shortened the heavy branch near the top of the tree but thats about it.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally I would just want to build up strength in the tree, then start thinking about redirecting energy. Seems like it is very sparse for now, so no rush to cut off more.

No rush at all. Just planning and thinking about the future. Its sparse but seems to be budding out pretty strong.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As for that second trunk....
I think with enough growth, you may be able to make it usable in the design. Otherwise I would consider jinning it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks awfully healthy to me. And personally, I think you could leave it slanted and wire the branches this fall. I wouldn’t remove much, if any. But placing the branches where desired sooner than later is a smart move in spruce, IMO. It takes so long for them to set that the sooner the better!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't given it a drastic cutback. I've shortened the heavy branch near the top of the tree but thats about it.

Maybe you didnt do it, but somebody cut it back based on the 5 branch stubs on it.
Reason I ask is I am not sure of their back budding behavior with drastic cutback.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe you didnt do it, but somebody cut it back based on the 5 branch stubs on it.
Reason I ask is I am not sure of their back budding behavior with drastic cutback.

Ah, yes now I understand what you mean. I slightly shortened a couple and cut some deadwood off the ends of a couple. Nothing that I would describe as drastic though. That said I think they backbud pretty well. This is my only blue spruce but I've worked with Black Hills Spruce for a few years now and they can take a pretty good cutback in my experience

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on my Colorado Spruce. I repotted it into this container that was deep enough to allow me to get the trunk more or less vertical. I like it much better at this angle.

20210517_133044.jpg

It budded pretty strong this spring. I still haven't done any real "styling" on this tree with the exception of removing some unwanted stuff. Hopefully that little shoot at the top takes off and allows me to build an apex out of it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you refer to the problem area, are talking about the thickest branch with an upward angle? Unlike the rest of the branching that angles down.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When you refer to the problem area, are talking about the thickest branch with an upward angle? Unlike the rest of the branching that angles down.
Yes, that thick upward angled branch that comes off the back. I've partially jinned it for now.

Top Bottom