Blue star in trouble

Patchy

Seed
Reaction score
I have a new blue star juniper I got a a local bonsai workshop here in the Philadelphia area several months ago. It is turning brown and losing branches not just needles. I have been careful not to overwater it and was told it must be kept outside but that’s when it started looking bad so now I have it inside, hopingI can save it. It does not appear to have insects. I realize this is not enough information to diagnose the problem so I am looking for any advice. Is it true it must be kept outside? A friend said she keeps her similar plants in an unseated garage with no light in winter because it’s dormant. I welcome any opinions on what I should do!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like it needs more water.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Keeping it inside will speed up it's passing for sure. If it's not dead already, I'd get it back outside. An outbuilding with no light will only work if you can keep the temperature inside consistently below 40 F.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Looks very dry to me and, unfortunately, by the time junipers look like this there is very little chance of recovering.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like it needs more water.
Sorce
This. Give it a good thorough watering if the soil is dry... almost treat it the way you would a succulent water-wise.

Also...

Is it getting enough sunlight? They like a lot of sun so if you had it outside where it didn't get any sun and it started to drop it's leaves, and then moved it inside where it also is getting no sun, it's not going to do well.

I would water it well and move it outside into cooler weather. If you're in Philly, your weather has been essentially the same as mine here in NJ... very mild winter so far... I wouldn't worry too much about the cold weather.

https://www.thespruce.com/blue-star-juniper-2132071

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I believe it is dead.
If the green foliage is feeling crispy, which I think it will, then it's dead.
If the green foliage is soft and losing it's turgor, there is a small chance it could make it. But I don't want to get your hopes up; chances are very slim on this one.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a very valuable lesson to be learned here. A lesson that because of my ignorance cost me several nice trees. The lesson is that withholding water is not the same as having free flowing soil that allows roots to obtain oxygen. I have gone to a soil that could be watered almost constantly and still maintain a healthy tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your location is not shown...but...it's really hard to bring trees right now into a collection. Speaking from being a northerner. I can't ship tropical safely...and to acclimate winter trees not knowing what climate they were wintering in, makes it challenging. I do encourage you to understand junipers hold their color a long while. It could have been a weak/dead tree when you purchased it. Depending on how long it's been on your bench. Zone friendly trees...are the most ideal. But...tropicals are doable with the right set up. Assuming your a northerner. Come spring...choose appropriately. And enjoy this hobby...give it a fighting chance.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is a very valuable lesson to be learned here. A lesson that because of my ignorance cost me several nice trees. The lesson is that withholding water is not the same as having free flowing soil that allows roots to obtain oxygen. I have gone to a soil that could be watered almost constantly and still maintain a healthy tree.
I still say that understanding "substrate vs soil", and "moist but not wet" was the most important bonsai lesson I ever learned....and substrate as you describe, which makes over-watering nearly impossible, is so crucial to developing healthy trees.

We need a proper balance of H2O & O2 for strong root growth.

Patchy

Seed
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it is probably pretty much dead. I have read that it's worth waiting till spring to toss is out, maybe it will surprise with new green shoots. Since it's not taking up space, I'll give it time. I have another similar plant that was never outside, I bought it in December in a greenhouse. It seems to be doing fine in the same location as the sick one. I have a lot of plant experience but have LOTS to learn about bonsai. Thanks, all for taking the time to reply.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I 'personally' know nothing, however. I've read that you might have a small chance of breathing health back to anything that's still alive, on your tree, by sealing it in a plastic bag to keep the humidity really high. I suppose that the holes in the bottom of the pot need to remain open, for O2 intake, but not sure. Maybe 'something' will green-up again amongst the deadwood...??? Good luck!

Top Bottom