Blue Star Juniper Question

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all,
I recently saw this blue star juniper posted for $25. It has a pretty thick truck but it is very straight and long without a low first branch. For $25 i think it may be worth playing with. Is there any chance that it would back bud to create a lower branch, or am I pretty much stuck with the lowest branch. Here is the link for some pictures

Do you guys think its worth it as a project? I am new and have 4 other trees I bought from nursery stock but would like other trees to work on.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5553.PNG
    IMG_5553.PNG
    291 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5554.JPG
    IMG_5554.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 27

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe I could approach graft some branches onto that trunk?

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You'll be spending 25 dollars on that tree, 4 hours to collect it, 60 hours to correct it, and then you'll probably find something better for roughly the same price. That's a realistic scenario.
I'd advise you to keep looking. It took me a month or two of searching before I found someone offering old material from a front yard. Spring is around the corner, people will be posting new offers pretty soon.

It's not just the straight trunk, but because it's trimmed like this, you'll probably have a lot of branches from less than ideal trunk locations.

Feel free to give it a shot of course! But I think you can spend your time better on something else.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you guys think its worth it as a project? I am new and have 4 other trees I bought from nursery stock but would like other trees to work on.
I would grab it up. I like Blue Star unlike most who prefer scale foliage. I have several and they will backbud some when pinched back but not old real old wood in my exp.
I've never saw one w/a 4inch trunk and would love to have it. I suspect it's grafted to that trunk. Unique IMO
4 hours to collect it
With a tea spoon? LOL
You're new and any old shrub will teach you something.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you guys think its worth it as a project
It's more than likely a high grafted blue star on some other juniper stock. They are sold as a "standard," a topiary form with a straight single trunk.

See if the person selling it can get a picture of where the branches meet the trunk, we'll be able to tell you if it is indeed a grafted tree.

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You'll be spending 25 dollars on that tree, 4 hours to collect it, 60 hours to correct it, and then you'll probably find something better for roughly the same price. That's a realistic scenario.
I'd advise you to keep looking. It took me a month or two of searching before I found someone offering old material from a front yard. Spring is around the corner, people will be posting new offers pretty soon.

It's not just the straight trunk, but because it's trimmed like this, you'll probably have a lot of branches from less than ideal trunk locations.

Feel free to give it a shot of course! But I think you can spend your time better on something else.

I forgot to say that the guy is going to dig it up for me

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's more than likely a high grafted blue star on some other juniper stock. They are sold as a "standard," a topiary form with a straight single trunk.

See if the person selling it can get a picture of where the branches meet the trunk, we'll be able to tell you if it is indeed a grafted tree.

What is the disadvantage if it is grafted? From what I understand, it’s not like I can chop the trunk anyway

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You think it’s worth it even if it is grafted?
Assuming you are not ready for show entries, you will still learn and could have a cute little tree. My friends and family who see my stuff don't even know what a graft is or care. I'd dig it.

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Assuming you are not ready for show entries, you will still learn and could have a cute little tree. My friends and family who see my stuff don't even know what a graft is or care. I'd dig it.

Awesome, thanks. The guy said he would dig it for me, so I don't think there is much to lose. Any suggestion on what kind of soil to put it in?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are tons of options and even more opinions on this.
Mine is... it depends on what you have available in your area and budget. I wouldn't invest too heavily in your beginner stuff. I use a lot of sifted DE, Lava and bark. There are many discussions on this in the forums here. Look at what your 4 nursery trees are in. Probably lots of bark. Despite the being the devil to most bonsai folks, potting soil won't kill your trees but overwatering it could.
If you want to develop the roots, a coarser inorganic mix will help.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
With a tea spoon? LOL

Nah, you dig for 30-45 minutes, transport it for 30 minutes, build a box for two hours, arrange soil for an hour, place the tree for 15-45 minutes, secure it.

I always underestimate the process of grabbing trees from full soil. All in all, it takes half a day to get it set up in my own back yard. With coffee breaks of course.

It can be done quick and dirty, sure! But that might add a year to the recovery.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That thing is pretty much useless for bonsai. Dont fall for the "thick trunk" trap. Movement and character are more important than movement. Blue star junipers are also a not so good species for bonsai (coarse growth, ugly foliage). I would pass it and never look back

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I would grab it up. I like Blue Star unlike most who prefer scale foliage. I have several and they will backbud some when pinched back but not old real old wood in my exp.
I've never saw one w/a 4inch trunk and would love to have it. I suspect it's grafted to that trunk. Unique IMO

With a tea spoon? LOL
Yes another person who enjoys needles, thought I was the only one.:) that Said, don’t hurt your back on this. Many other free or cheap stuff will come your way.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That thing is pretty much useless for bonsai. Dont fall for the "thick trunk" trap. Movement and character are more important than movement. Blue star junipers are also a not so good species for bonsai (coarse growth, ugly foliage). I would pass it and never look back
He's not wrong! LOL
But, I'd still take it if I had only 4 nursery cans at home and ambition to learn/play.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is the disadvantage if it is grafted
Possible ugly transition from trunk to branches.

Convincing graft transitions for bonsai are really hard to pull off, only a few pros are really able to do it convincingly.

In my opinion, the only way this tree would be bonsai usable, is if you could air layer the blue star off of the straight trunk. In my area, blue stars don't fare well and I would personally pass on it. But, it is a pretty nice standard landscape specimen. If you wanted it for that reason, than that price is a steal!

Top Bottom