Blue Star Juniper - Struggling to bounce back

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a blue star juniper from nursery stock that was purchased and repotted the first week June. The plant was kept out of direct sunlight for 3 weeks, and once it went back into the sun, the plant was thriving. July had a lot of growth, then somewhere around mid August, there was some really heavy rain received from the hurricane passing through the east coast.

From what I've learned about the tree, it does not like the soil to be wet for two long. I believe that the heavy rains may have hurt the tree, since it rained for hours. I've seen drooping and yellowing since then, but only on the thickest trunk. There is a thick branch on the right side that I'm encouraging to grow in a semi-cascade, and surprisingly it has continued to thrive and I haven't seen any negative signs at all there. It looks like two different trees. I have seen some improvement in color, since I adjusted the watering schedule, and when it rains I bring it under the deck.

I remain optimistic. What confuses me is how the yellowing is only on the main trunk, and all the lower future-sacrifice branches look great. If you have seen this problem before, please let me know what I can do to help turn it around before winter.

Thanks!
Oto

Attachments

• 20200821_172556.jpg
    20200821_172556.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20200821_172606.jpg
    20200821_172606.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 199

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

What is the wire for on that trunk? That damaging the roots is possible. It could be 2 trees.
Sorce

Reaction score
The wire on the trunk was placed to anchor the tree when it was repotted. I suppose it is a possibility, the thickest side branch comes from underneath the soil, however, the other two extending branches are attached to the main trunk and still thriving. Which is why I'm optimistic that their health is still salvageable.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much wind did you get? Is it at all possible that the roots on one side where broken?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is your soil mix? It looks as if it may be too wet with all the rain you received.
Try and prop up the pot one one side to aid in draining.
With the right soil mix, it should never get too wet if it drains well.

Reaction score
What is your soil mix? It looks as if it may be too wet with all the rain you received.
Try and prop up the pot one one side to aid in draining.
With the right soil mix, it should never get too wet if it drains well.
My soil mix is Hoffman's Bonsai mix, and I took that photo right after watering it with immersion. Today it rained really heavily and I kept it under cover until about 4pm I took it out, and then it rained again while I was taking a nap :\ Tomorrow I'm supposed to get some good sun, I'm going to skip watering it tomorrow since it's been too wet already. Thank you for the advice!

Reaction score
How much wind did you get? Is it at all possible that the roots on one side where broken?
It's definitely possible! I never thought of that. The wind and the rain were unbelievable. I don't know the exact speed or anything but I remember how the storm had all the dogs scared more than usual.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have you ever worked with a blue star juniper? I read about how they're not ideal shrubs to encourage for bonsai growth, but gave it a shot anyway. What's your input?

I dont share this wisdom very often, but for you I will make an exception...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wire on the trunk was placed to anchor the tree when it was repotted. I suppose it is a possibility, the thickest side branch comes from underneath the soil, however, the other two extending branches are attached to the main trunk and still thriving. Which is why I'm optimistic that their health is still salvageable.

I have always thought jamming wire into the soil to wire a trunk is a move garaunteed to cause damage some day. This is similar. Good thing your day came early with inexpensive material!

It's one of the stupidest things we do in bonsai actually, since, if the soil near your trunk can even hold a wire still, you'll need to Repot before any bends are set anyhow. It's a trick that shouldn't work!

And with that, I just came up with a new system to more safely wire trees in!

Cheers!

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like two different trees.
Any chance it is 2 trees in that pot. I have 2 different types of Blue Star which look and act quite different. My nursery guy swears they are the same but They act very different.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_105046540_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_105046540_HDR.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 141
Reaction score
I dont share this wisdom very often, but for you I will make an exception...

WOW! I am honored you would pass down your wisdom to a lowly serF sUCh as I, you Know manY wOnderoUs things! I wonder, do you know how to take long walks off short piers? You should really try it sometime, takes a lot of wisdom to do it just right ;)

Reaction score
Any chance it is 2 trees in that pot. I have 2 different types of Blue Star which look and act quite different. My nursery guy swears they are the same but They act very different.
Those look really great. And I'm glad to know that! I have hope still, admittedly its my first. I appreciate your input.

Reaction score
I have always thought jamming wire into the soil to wire a trunk is a move garaunteed to cause damage some day. This is similar. Good thing your day came early with inexpensive material!

It's one of the stupidest things we do in bonsai actually, since, if the soil near your trunk can even hold a wire still, you'll need to Repot before any bends are set anyhow. It's a trick that shouldn't work!

And with that, I just came up with a new system to more safely wire trees in!

Cheers!

Sorce
I removed those wires today, and sure enough, it had bit into the lower branch! Not a big deal since I wanted to sacrifice that branch anyway, but you're right! It was a good lesson to learn early!

Top Bottom