Blueberry 2

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Here's a blueberry stump I collected last spring ('08).
I don't quite know where to go with it.....
Here are the four sides. Any ideas?

Attachments

• P2280154.jpg
    P2280154.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 223
  • P2280155.jpg
    P2280155.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 158
  • P2280156.jpg
    P2280156.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 143
  • P2280157.jpg
    P2280157.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 150

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've seen a few blueberry on various forums over the years and I have to say this is probably the best I've ever seen. The taper is amazing. I would say that once the branches have been set in a more horizontal plane I would resort to a clip and grow method on them to develop taper and ramification. This tree will be mind blowing in a short period of time.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No help here, but that's pretty nice looking. I like the view of the base in the 2nd pic.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A quick virtual that might help you think through the design. I think your choice of the front is correct. You need to get rid of the vertical branch on the right. Once that is done, I think you see the line of the bottom half of the tree, and the challenge comes down to creating a new apex that balances the design.

blue_edit.jpg

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Steve!

Nature did the stump... I have the harder task of making a good bonsai out of it.
I would say that once the branches have been set in a more horizontal plane......
I don't quite follow what you mean here. Is what bonsainut came up with the direction you were going?

grog, thanks.
I like the second base as well, but it might not work as well from the branching point of view. I think, in the long run, a round pot may be the way to go.

onlyrey, thank you.

I look foward to seeing it dressed up too. Maybe in a couple of years, after the branching is farther along, I'll be able to let it flower and fruit.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
A quick virtual that might help you think through the design. I think your choice of the front is correct. You need to get rid of the vertical branch on the right. Once that is done, I think you see the line of the bottom half of the tree, and the challenge comes down to creating a new apex that balances the design.

Thanks Greg!
I knew one of those prongs had to go, I just couldn't see which one. I think your virt is really going in the right direction.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Basically lowering the branches like in Greg's virt. Thereby giving it a more mature look. nothing beats blueberries for back budding either so it'll fill in and more for you.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay, I've been eyeing a blueberry near me for bonsai, but hadn't fully committed to the idea of it yet. Thanks for inspiring me!

Now I just have to convince the wife....:p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay,

Those berries must be getting close, how about an update when they are ready?

Will

Top Bottom