Blueberry growth habit

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a blueberry with a pretty decent base that was growing in my yard for six years.

I was originally going to do the paint-by-numbers I tend to do of bringing the branches down and making a standard tree looking tree as though it were a trident, but a lot of the bonsai I’ve seen go for something much different like the below photos.

While the base would make for a beefy Shohin, I’m wondering if my mind should be more attuned to these examples…. Would love the input. It’s not really ready to mess with yet, but figured I could get ahead of it mentally…

These aren’t mine, just examples, though the second may be something similar to what I could pursue

C0D2C1ED-2B6E-477B-A39A-9A99E65DB578.jpeg

76DD23F5-3C33-4618-9974-151A349F1C09.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s your tree. Grow what you enjoy. If you’re stuck on the fence about trying something new, go for it. As they say, variety is the spice of life. If you’re very attached to this material, wait another year or two to style it, and first mess around with plants you value less.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It’s your tree. Grow what you enjoy. If you’re stuck on the fence about trying something new, go for it. As they say, variety is the spice of life. If you’re very attached to this material, wait another year or two to style it, and first mess around with plants you value less.

Good call. I wouldn’t say it’s my most precious, but it’s a good excuse to try something new and learn more.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a porquepine style. Maybe also called a turtle? Might give you some inspiration.

Edit: I think most people would bucket the style as clump but I think there is a specific type of clump. Maybe someone else will know more about the style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom