"Bob Shimon" you out there??

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bob this is the tree that you did a demo on at the American Bonsai Club last May in Sacramento...I was fortunate to win it…Your recommendation was to leave it alone after the initial pruning and styling until next year…I haven’t done anything to it except knock off the new buds around the bottom to force the upper limbs to pop….I want to reduce the container size and get it into a shallow pot for development…What would you recommend for soil, one that works for just holding redwoods prior to developing and one for finishing in a shallow pot.

Attachments

• CIMG3669.jpg
    CIMG3669.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 112
  • CIMG3670.jpg
    CIMG3670.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
bob shimon

bob might be a little slow to respond due to having knee surgery recently.
what a nice rugged and old knarly looking trunk on this redwood.

Last edited:

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, this tree came from Mendocino Coast Bonsai and all the credit goes to "Bob Shimon" for producing great stock like this...

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Alive But Not kicking Just Yet

Art is correct, I had knee replacement surgery Mon, 6/13 and got home Thurs afternoon. This followed roator cuff surgery that I had in Feb. I tore 2 tendons from my shoulder, and they had to implant anchors into my shoulder to in order to reattach them. This followed carpol tunnel surgery that I had in Dec. I schedule my surgeries and rehab around my collecting trips and the REBS show in August. My goal is to be back in the mountains in the fall.
As for the redwood, I would wait to repot it. Fall is o.k., spring is better. I would use straight akadama from this point on. The bottom was flat cut when collected, and you should have all nice feeder roots for a shallow pot. Good luck and stay in touch - Bob

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
"Alive But Not kicking Just Yet"

Thanks Bob for the information on the soil...This is a fantastic tree and I found myself the envy of the Sacramento bunch...Hope your recovery goes well and when in Sacramento if you ever need help with anything let me know...Has anyone mentioned that your're really close to becoming the "Bionic Man"...Just kidding and thanks again.

Doc

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Doc. Actually, I am called the bionic man on a fairly regular basis and only listed my surgeries from the last 6 months. I omitted my hip replacement 2 years ago and the year I spent in the hospital as a result of my Viet Nam experience could be another whole book. Anyway, thankful to be alive and doing bonsai. Take care - Bob

Top Bottom