Bonsai 2-step - How Long Inside?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We've had enough nice weather to start waking the trees up, but the temps keeping bouncing around and we are set for another cold blast. I started spring work and have been doing the bonsai 2-step bringing them in and out of an unheated extension off the house. It stays in the high 50s there most of the time.

My question is how long can trees stay indoors without sun once they have started to break bud? Can I leave them in there for a week? (It takes two people to move some of the larger boxes and I will not have the help when needed for the next week or so. I can move the dozen or so smaller trees myself).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We've had enough nice weather to start waking the trees up, but the temps keeping bouncing around and we are set for another cold blast. I started spring work and have been doing the bonsai 2-step bringing them in and out of an unheated extension off the house. It stays in the high 50s there most of the time.

My question is how long can trees stay indoors without sun once they have started to break bud? Can I leave them in there for a week? (It takes two people to move some of the larger boxes and I will not have the help when needed for the next week or so. I can move the dozen or so smaller trees myself).
Indoors as buds break is a tough time. A week inside and they'll get leggy growth and dry soil...I tend to move my trees back out when daytime temperature goes above 40 or so into full sun, the back inside before freeze/frost in the evening. It' labor intensive, but necessary.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tend to move my trees back out when daytime temperature goes above 40 or so into full sun,
We haven't had frost in a bit, but temps have been in the high 30s in the morning. Not sure if I need to protect the trees from this, but I have been doing the 2-step in these conditions anyway. My son may not be able to assist in the coming days and I just can't get the boxes up the stairs myself without dumping the tree. I can water indoors (so long as you don't tell my wife). I guess I will need to find some additional assistance this week to continue the dance.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We haven't had frost in a bit, but temps have been in the high 30s in the morning. Not sure if I need to protect the trees from this, but I have been doing the 2-step in these conditions anyway. My son may not be able to assist in the coming days and I just can't get the boxes up the stairs myself without dumping the tree. I can water indoors (so long as you don't tell my wife). I guess I will need to find some additional assistance this week to continue the dance.
It's a crap shoot. High 30s isn't really a problem--when temps are forecast to be 35 or so, is when I begin brining trees inside.

BTW--it Doesn't have to be freezing to get frost. That can develop with temps as high as 40--clear skies, calm winds, low humidity will allow frost in those conditions Having trees under an overhang, etc, can prevent them getting hit by frost in those conditions.

I've also learned that if you're concerned about a tree in borderline conditions, bring it in.

Last edited:

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's a crap shoot. High 30s isn't really a problem--when temps are forecast to be 35 or so, is when I begin brining trees inside.

BTW--it Doesn't have to be freezing to get frost. That can develop with temps as high as 40--clear skies, calm temp, low humidity will allow frost in those conditions Having trees under an overhang, etc, can prevent them getting hit by frost in those conditions.

I've also learned that if you're concerned about a tree in borderline conditions, bring it in.
Very helpful. Much appreciated. I have them in a tent which does little to control temps, but blocks the heavy wind and should help with the frost. Otherwise, I will continue the 2-step. Hey, it's a decent workout.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've found that as long as a tree hasn't been root pruned and/or the new leaves are still nearly 100% sheathed my deciduous trees can handle minor frosts. It's when new leaves are unfurled that frosts to about mid 20's degrees do damage in my experience

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's when new leaves are unfurled that frosts to about mid 20's degrees do damage in my experience
This is the part that seems to be causing some confusion - where is the danger zone and the need for care once root work has been done and the leaves have begun to unfurl? How about low 40s, with a wind chill making it feel like 30s? What about below 40, but above freezing? Does it matter if the non-freezing temperature dip is just a few hours in the morning until the sun comes out? My 10 day forecast and my plan are as follows:

Today night 43/ day 61
Tues 42/58
Wed 37/46
Thu 43/53
Fri 47/56
Sat 44/54
Sun 34/46
Mon 30/46
Tues 34/52
Wed 40/54

I was going to bring the trees in Saturday night and bring them back out later in the day the following Tuesday. Wasn't sure if Wednesday's forecast of 37 was cause for concern (I thought it was).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is the part that seems to be causing some confusion - where is the danger zone and the need for care once root work has been done and the leaves have begun to unfurl? How about low 40s, with a wind chill making it feel like 30s? What about below 40, but above freezing? Does it matter if the non-freezing temperature dip is just a few hours in the morning until the sun comes out? My 10 day forecast and my plan are as follows:

Today night 43/ day 61
Tues 42/58
Wed 37/46
Thu 43/53
Fri 47/56
Sat 44/54
Sun 34/46
Mon 30/46
Tues 34/52
Wed 40/54

I was going to bring the trees in Saturday night and bring them back out later in the day the following Tuesday. Wasn't sure if Wednesday's forecast of 37 was cause for concern (I thought it was).
Plants aren't warm blooded so wind chill doesn't translate. Sunday and Monday next week appear to be your only days to need to move trees and I'd have them back outside when temps are above 35F as your daytime temps are good. Fwiw, I have found that a warm windy day with low humidity in spring can absolutely dry out new unhardened foliage... was particularly hard on my bald cypress.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Plants aren't warm blooded so wind chill doesn't translate. Sunday and Monday next week appear to be your only days to need to move trees and I'd have them back outside when temps are above 35F as your daytime temps are good. Fwiw, I have found that a warm windy day with low humidity in spring can absolutely dry out new unhardened foliage... was particularly hard on my bald cypress.
Thanks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Today night 43/ day 61
Tues 42/58
Wed 37/46
Thu 43/53
Fri 47/56
Sat 44/54
Sun 34/46
Mon 30/46
Tues 34/52
Wed 40/54

You're making it more complicated than it is...Plants don't experience wind chill. Low nighttime temps below 35 is when I begin to worry. Freezing for a recently repotted tree can be a disaster, or not, depending on how frozen the pot becomes. That can vary tremendously with the size of the pot and the soil volume. If you plant on leaving stuff out when temps are forecast below 35, make sure they are well watered.

So your forecast, I'd keep an eye on Sunday-Tues. morning. Keep an close eye on forecasts, particularly day-of, since I've had forecasts when temps were predicted at 37, only to have a 6 pm forecast say lows will be 30...Had to do the shuffle at 11 pm to get trees in...Spring is dangerous if you don't watch.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
thanks to all. Nothing like living and working with the trees to truly learn this art. Only so much one can learn from a book. I trust next winter/spring will be that much less stressful having been through it once.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol. Ok, so at least I’ll be busy
Some practical advice,--if you don't already take up weight lifting--seriously-- the older you get with this hobby, the heavier the trees get. Lifting a 50 lb tree and moving it without damage inside is easy when you're 40, notsomuch when you're 60.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was supposed to drop into the 30s last night but it didnt go below 50.
I slept with my window cracked open

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some practical advice,--if you don't already take up weight lifting--seriously-- the older you get with this hobby, the heavier the trees get. Lifting a 50 lb tree and moving it without damage inside is easy when you're 40, notsomuch when you're 60.
I was going to crack a joke about training for bonsai training, but after a few days of 2-stepping I see what you're saying. I need a more workable solution for next year. The garage doesnt prevent anything from freezing and I've been forced to bring 23 repotted trees into a bathroom. I've got trees in full bloom and it's supposed to snow.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah , I don’t squat 325*10 reps at the gym for nuthin

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve had my stuff outside today in afternoon and in garage to let light in .. they’ve been in garage since Sunday.. had to water today but luckily back out tomorrow if temp forecast stays the same

Top Bottom