bonsai 2 step - spring 2015

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have all of my trees outside and I have repotted a lot of them recently. It has been warm out, which both the plants and myself have been enjoying.

Tonight and tomorrow night it's supposed to drop to 35 degrees at night. Since my trees haven't leafed out yet, should I bring them in for the next two days while I'm out of town and set them on my kitchen table? It's what I'm thinking about doing since they don't really need any light without their leaves.

But then again, 35 degrees is what they were kept at over the winter on the coldest days, and is the temp. that one of my fav. bonsai nurseries keeps a lot of trees at during the winter.

Leave them outside or kitchen table and drop the thermostat inside to 60 while I'm gone? Or does it not even matter?

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Definitely outside. If it makes you feel better, you could place the pots on the ground.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put a few trees out yesterday morning and left them since the night temps will stay in the 40s and days up to 60 for a couple of days. If it looks like it will drop below 30-35, Ill bring them back in the garage particularly if it will be very windy.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think it'll go below 35. 35 is the low tonight and 36 tonight....they're probably alright...I might bring them close to the door where there is less wind.

Besides tonight and tomorrow night, then temps for the next 2 weeks look like 40-60 is the low and around 73 for the high a couple of days!

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I honestly don't know what to think. It seems like ppl are split in their opinions. Vin, would you bring your trees in until Sunday night? I actually don't have a garage, so they'd be on the table in the kitchen

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes I would. Well, the ones that need more protection. I learned a long time ago it's just not worth losing something over 10 or 15 minutes of moving them. A couple days in the house isn't going to hurt them. However, I wouldn't have heat blowing directly on them if you have central heat and air. But, that's just me.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Erb it would depend a lot on what type of trees you are dealing wit. A conifer it would be know problem at all but deciduous trees may suffer a setback if the buds are frozen. Even among deciduous trees there are some that are more hardy than others.

ed

Reactions: Vin

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have mostly deciduous trees...some cork bark elms, a yatsabusa elm, kiyohime maple

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
35 won't hurt Maples or Elms.

I left my trees out while I was out of town this past weekend... We Znever a get freezing temps this late... Except of course the day I go out of town! Dropped to about 30 that night. Bougainvillea and all sitting right outside... The Bougies surprisingly were fine! My white Kurume that was already blooming lost a bunch of the blooms and my Crepe Myrtles that had just started to pop tender new buds lost ever leaf! They are already growing again, so everything appears to be fine... Except my squash in the garden and a couple beans... Those were toast! LOL

35-36 degrees is nothing and shouldn't even burn tender new shoots if they are peaking out on the trees you mentioned, but it sounds like yours aren't even leafing out yet? Nothing at all to worry about.

Top Bottom