Bonsai-a-thon at the Huntington (Virtually), Feb. 27th, 2021

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FYI, the apocalypse has created a unique opportunity:

“The Golden State Bonsai Federation presents its annual Huntington Bonsai-A-Thon virtually this year (due to COVID restrictions). In the morning, Ted Matson, curator of the bonsai collection at The Huntington, hosts video tours of the bonsai courts, the Ben Oki Bonsai Nursery, and the “Lifelines/Timelines” bonsai exhibition. In the afternoon, Phillip E. Bloom, the June and Simon K.C. Li Curator of the Chinese Garden and Director of the Center of East Asian Garden Studies, introduces the garden’s new penjing court and discusses the history of this art form. Both sessions include time for questions from audience members.

The event is held online via Zoom at 10 a.m. (PST). Zoom link will be sent to attendees in registration confirmation email.

https://www.huntington.org/events/virtual-bonsai-thon

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here, somethingthon, like "Téléthon" are always initiatives to collect donations for a cause. Based on "marathon" of course because the aim is to collect as much money for research in 24 hrs.

With a hyphen, French being my first language, I didn't identify the meaning of this project at first : "thon" is "Tuna-fish" and is also a sexist epithet for an... "unsightly" woman. So I first got a mild laugh : how can someone publicize ugly bonsai? 😄

But I sincerely wish you success, it's so hard to keep contact even with some your friends who work in schools, hospitals, etc. these days ;)

My eldest son caught the virus, but he's OK now, back to work next Monday, and my 90-yr-old Mum got her first jab this afternoon, so not too bad that far...

JonL

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
signed up, thank you for the heads up!

Top Bottom