Bonsai Album app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you might be interested in my forthcoming bonsai app, Bonsai Album. You'll be able to keep track of all your trees, pots, log activity entries, and more. I'm hoping to have it ready for Beta testing in another month or so. You can read more about it in my blog post.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Bonsai Album app is progressing nicely. I've posted the first screenshot of the app here, and I'm hoping to commence Beta testing later this month. I'm interested to hear what you think so far :)

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A quick update on my Bonsai Album app. It now has an icon! I've posted it on my blog here, along with some news about the app. I hope you like it!

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have the time or resources for a version for Droid or other platforms currently. Sorry!

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the great feedback on the app over the past few months! It's gratifying to see others find the app useful, and I appreciate all the comments and reviews. If you're yet to leave a review on the App Store, please spare a moment to post some thoughts there. Every review helps in such a crowded place.

Before I get back to development on the next update, I thought I'd gauge interest in a particular new feature. One of my other apps has a feature where you can transfer a web page between the app and your computer over WiFi. The web page contains a summary of your collection, as well as all the data and photos contained within the app. This page can be saved elsewhere for safe-keeping, or printed-out. Note that it is only stored locally on your computer -- not posted online. I was thinking about bringing a similar feature to Bonsai Album. In this case the web page would show every tree in your collection and the associated data, along with all the accompanying photos you've stored for your trees. Would there be any interest in such a feature? If so, would having only the trees be sufficient, or would you also want to see your pots? Let me know what you think!

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I too, would be interested in the droid version, if you ever got the time.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Somehow I missed this thread and knew nothing about this app. I accidentally found the iphone app and bought it this week and have been loading my trees as I have time. Tonight at our Alabama Bonsai Society monthly meeting I was telling several people about this and that I liked the app a lot. Another member asked me if if were the app that had been on the forum. I came home and found this thread.

Let me compliment you on the app. I really like it and am eager to load my trees into the app.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
AKNicolle,

Fantastic idea and implementation. May I ask how ipad1 users would enter pictures into the bonsai database?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I think that's a great idea! I'd like it to show my tree pics too. Keeping pics of the trees development of the the years is a big point to this program for me.

Thanks for all the great feedback on the app over the past few months! It's gratifying to see others find the app useful, and I appreciate all the comments and reviews. If you're yet to leave a review on the App Store, please spare a moment to post some thoughts there. Every review helps in such a crowded place.

Before I get back to development on the next update, I thought I'd gauge interest in a particular new feature. One of my other apps has a feature where you can transfer a web page between the app and your computer over WiFi. The web page contains a summary of your collection, as well as all the data and photos contained within the app. This page can be saved elsewhere for safe-keeping, or printed-out. Note that it is only stored locally on your computer -- not posted online. I was thinking about bringing a similar feature to Bonsai Album. In this case the web page would show every tree in your collection and the associated data, along with all the accompanying photos you've stored for your trees. Would there be any interest in such a feature? If so, would having only the trees be sufficient, or would you also want to see your pots? Let me know what you think!

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ron: Glad you're enjoying the app!

berobinson82: Within the app you can select photos from the iPad's photo library. These are loaded onto the iPad in the usual way, either by syncing photos with iTunes, or through Photo Stream and iCloud. Once you've selected a photo, it's copied into the database and leaves the original intact on your device.

fore: Coming soon! ;)

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Album v1.4 update just hit the App Store today. Here's all the new stuff in this version:

- Updated icon and other graphics for the new iPad Retina display.
- Increased resolution of photo thumbnails (does not affect existing thumbnails).
- Added Bonsai Report export feature. View your bonsai and pot collection on your computer's web browser. Great for keeping track of your collection for inventory or insurance purposes.
- Added Log reminder feature. Highlights log entries due and allows them to be added to (or edited on) the device calendar.
- Added Reminders Due statistic.
- Improved scrolling performance with photo grids.
- User interface improvements.
- Added iPad camera support.
- Bug fixes.

The new iPad came out partway through development, so that slowed things down a bit. I hope you'll agree the wait was worth it :)

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I've been using this app since it came out several months back and I gotta say I love it. Obviously I haven't tried the update yet but the original is excellent. Really nice interface. There were a couple things I would have liked that weren't there but maybe they're in the update (to do list, future plan for trees for example.) I just put those into the 'notes' section.
I gotta say I highly recommend this app.
Ian

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Andrew, I just updated, but don't see anywhere where you can enter a Reminder. So how does the Reminders Due stat work?

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To use reminders, pick a log entry or create a new one. Select 'Yes' next to the Reminder field, and a popup will appear asking if you want to add a reminder to the calendar. Tap add and another screen will appear where you can create a calendar entry. If there's already an entry, it'll allow you to edit it (or delete it). If Reminder is set to 'Yes', changing the date will also show a popup asking if you want to add/edit on the calendar. If you leave the app and check your device calendar, the entry should be recorded against the date/time you set.

The idea is you set a future date, set Reminder to 'Yes', and the log entry will be highlighted on and after that date. The number badge at the bottom of the screen and on the app icon will be updated to reflect the number of Reminders Due (ie highlighted on or after the stored dates). The statistic is also updated. Once you've taken care of the task (fertilizing, repotting, etc), set Reminder back to 'No'.

Does that make sense? I'll add the above to the Frequently Asked Questions page ;)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Perfect sense Andrew, and works like a charm! Now just waiting for the WiFi lol Seriously, nice job!

Top Bottom