Bonsai Album for Mac - productivity app

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've briefly mentioned Bonsai Album for Mac in the iOS app thread, but thought it might get overlooked by Mac users, so I've started a separate thread for it.

Bonsai Album is an app to organize your collection of bonsai and pots. While you might be getting by with a spreadsheet or notebook, this app is a fully-fledged database and it's a whole lot more interactive than anything else. Since last year I’ve been busily working on the Mac version, and now it’s almost feature-complete! It includes some additional features over and above the iOS version, like photo organization, printing, enhanced search capabilities, and support for Mac Retina displays. You’ll also be able to transfer data between the Mac and iOS versions over WiFi.

The app is currently being localized into multiple languages, including English, Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. All of these languages will be supported at launch.

You can find out more about the app, including a new screenshot, in today's blog post.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can use this app

I can use this app for bonsai tracking...although...my first step is to get an iPad. I'm working on it. I would enjoy reading about tips and such from others here that have used this app tool for bonsai.

RELATED: I was curious...in a demo at the Apple store there was a "Drawing" app...PaintPro or something like that for freehand drawing, painting and related steps...it's a free app and may come onboard already as pre-loaded iPad app. There's probably a greater capability version for a small fee.

QUESTION: If I sketch tree details in that drawing app can I save it to the Bonsai Album as one of the pictures? Is the sketch a jpg?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The app allows you to add any of your photos. So after you save the drawing to your ipad, you can transfer it to the album.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Save that drawing...in the Bonsai Album

I asked Andrew Nicolle, the Bonsai Album developer, the question about the drawing tool and received this great answer: "All apps have access to the iPad photo library, provided you grant them access. Drawing apps typically have the option to save to the iPad photo library, so you could save your drawing there and select it within Bonsai Album. Bonsai Album then copies the photo, resizes it (to save space/memory), and stores it in its database.

By photo library, I mean the photos accessible in the iPad Photos app. I'm not sure what format they're stored in internally, since apps just get the photo data uncompressed. When copying from the iPad to computer, they're converted to jpegs. Bonsai Album saves them within its database as jpeg data."

Excellent opportunity for the Bonsai Album app. I think I would also be able to take a picture of a tree and then draw a new layer on top of that to document intended directions or tree adjustments. Could be fun...especially right now while it is blowing snow and very cold. Spring is nearer...I hope.

Last edited:

shyu

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You guys can also look at Treesketch for another complementary sketching tool for your plants.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Yes Treesketch is cool, but no idea why it only does deciduous trees and not evergreens. I hope they add this in time.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You guys can also look at Treesketch for another complementary sketching tool for your plants.

I agree it is cool to play with but very unpredictable for actual tree virt. I played with it but it is not for me.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonsaialbum-mac-web.png

Bonsai Album for Mac is now available for direct download via my website. The app initially runs in a trial mode, allowing up to 3 bonsai, 3 pots, and 3 logs, with 3 photos each. Multiple database windows and database import are disabled in this mode. Purchasing a license within the app or via the web store removes these limitations.

If you prefer the Mac App Store version, the app is still awaiting Mac App Store approval. I expect that'll take a week or two. Meanwhile, feel free to download the trial version and put the app through its paces.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
What if I'm already using Bonsai Album (by you) on my iPhone? Do I need to download a separate thing for my desktop mac or is this the same app?
Ian

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi iant - This is a separate app that runs only on the Mac. Unfortunately the same code doesn't run on both, so it involved almost a total rewrite for the Mac. The database can be transferred between the two versions, however.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonsaialbum-mac-web.png

Bonsai Album for Mac is now available from the Mac App Store!

A free trial version can be downloaded via my website. The trial mode allows up to 3 bonsai, 3 pots, and 3 logs, with 3 photos each. Multiple database windows and database import are disabled in this mode.

In addition to being available on the Mac App Store, you may also purchase a license within the app or via my web store.

Have fun tracking your trees!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Is there any chance that this will be available for Windows, or an app for Android based phones/tablets?

Is there anything out there that will work on these two platforms? It looks like a neat program, but having just got a new laptop, tablet, and cellphone last year, I can't justify any new toys, darn it.

John

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have this app on iPad and iPhone, and was able to backup the info form the iPad to the iPhone pretty easily. I think this app is great to have your info on hand when you are on the go.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Album for Mac v1.1 update is now available on the Mac App Store and direct from my website. This version includes:

- Clicking on the app icon in the dock will now load the most recently opened database, or an Untitled database if the most-recent list is empty.
- Removed the photo slot selection button on the full-screen photo view. The main photo slots now reflect the order of photos on the Photos screen.
- Bug fixes.

If you're enjoying Bonsai Album for Mac, please take a moment to rate or review it on the Mac App Store. Thanks!

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Album for Mac v1.2 update is now available on the Mac App Store and direct from my website. This version includes:

- User interface improvements.
- The main Log list is now divided by year and month.
- Botanical names are now shown in italics.
- Bug fixes.

If you're enjoying Bonsai Album for Mac, please take a moment to rate or review it on the Mac App Store. Thanks!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Long ago you stated you were working on a PC version. Have you decided not to do a PC version? Or will it be available soon? By the way have heard good thinks about the MAC version.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Nice upgrade AK. But, I don't like the nearly all white background. A bit harsh on the eyes. Like the older color scheme better.

btw, the upgrade was readily seen and available thru the app store on my mac...but no update is showing in the app store in my ipad.

Thanks
Chris

Top Bottom