If Mona Lisa did Bonsai.....

Shed keep them inside.

Sorce

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Most bonsai (I mean very vast majority world wide) could not be regarded as being works of art any more than if I copied the Mona Lisa and called it art.

If someone copies the Mona Lisa, what would that be, other than art?

It wouldn't be architecture or literature, it would be art.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If someone copies the Mona Lisa, what would that be, other than art?

It wouldn't be architecture or literature, it would be art.
No. nothing to do with art. Art is the product not the process. In this case not even the result would be art. It would be a copy of the Mona Lisa and that's it.
in other words POINTLESS
why try and box up bonsai by trying to define it as an art or a craft....?

Best regards
Herman
Because too many people call themselves artists and it's important - and about time - that true artists and good art is recognised.
Not pointless at all. First we need to know what art is and second we need to know what good art is. If you think that's not important, I say well that that is just a reflection of this TV society.
Nature and Art are the only 2 meaningful things.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nonsense. This is art. You have a ridiculous, snobbishly restrictive view of what is considered art. Just because you don't like it, or aren't impressed with it, or find it insufficiently creative or skilled doesn't make it something other than art.

Art.jpg

BTW, I pulled this from a well-respected art magazine. It is a painting by a French artist with about half a million followers, whom I found by reviewing articles written by some of my favorite art critics. The art world calls it art. It's art.

Last edited:
Reaction score
william.png

I don't know why? But, this image really seems to fit with most of the Logic here at the Nut...
Perhaps we should use it like the Bunny Pot, when ever someone talks about some conceived Un-obtainable Greatness?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
"michaelj, post: 354477, member: 14569"]Nonsense. This is art. You have a ridiculous, snobbishly restrictive view of what is considered art. Just because you don't like it, or aren't impressed with it, or find it insufficiently creative or skilled doesn't make it something other than art.

View attachment 104764

BTW, I pulled this from a well-respected art magazine. It is a painting by a French artist with about half a million followers, whom I found by reviewing articles written by some of my favorite art critics. The art world calls it art. It's art.
You seem to be confused with the meaning of your own words.
I actually do agree that this is art. (very, very bad art) but still art. You said copy. This is not a copy. It is using the image of the Mona Lisa as a medium to express some other twisted god knows what.
This sort of crap is perpetuated by critics and gallery dealers with the bottom line in mind. They tell/convince people (especially potential customers) that it has value & is good art. Well if your favourite art critics say it's good it must be right? Not necessarily! I'm not denying it is art. It is just simple art - not deep, it's more like graphic design or morphing illustration material. It would make a good T shirt design or museum poster to get your average Joe Schmo into the show to see the Mona Lisa. That's about as deep as this thing is.
My partner worked in a well respected Boston art gallery for more than 15 years & also went to the Museum School of Fine Arts Boston. She grew up in an Art family, looking at art all her life in NYC and around the world. She speaks about art magazine writers, art critics, gallery owners pushing bad art on viewers, collectors, and museum customers & how all the crap keeps getting promoted over the higher art. This kind of junk art and the people who praise it were rife and still are - it's like bad reality TV. It's just about what's hot at the moment & in fashion nothing to do with good quality art. Unfortunately the art world often works with the critics getting their backs scratched by the art dealers who then reciprocate by promoting the nonsense artists.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Did you think about what you wrote before posting?

yes but did you?

you first explained why bonsai is for a fact art, and the rest is trying to convince people of the definition of art according to you as the global law of what art is. And everybody else is completely OFF if they disagree with you....see.... pointless discussion

you moan about the logic here, yet this follows the same path...if it's not your logic it must be inferior

just remember that the truth is a double edged sword buddy

ps. I don't need to type 6 paragraphs to display the fact of a high IQ, are you compensating.... maybe...no...definitely over compensating for something else?
thinking before posting is mandatory sawgrass, maybe practice what you preach?

fantastic :)
best regards
Herman

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
No. nothing to do with art. Art is the product not the process. In this case not even the result would be art. It would be a copy of the Mona Lisa and that's it.

Because too many people call themselves artists and it's important - and about time - that true artists and good art is recognised.
Not pointless at all. First we need to know what art is and second we need to know what good art is. If you think that's not important, I say well that that is just a reflection of this TV society.
Nature and Art are the only 2 meaningful things.

how the discussion developed is pointless, not the thread :) how can we pass off bonsai as art if we need to define art and good art from bad art but we are already creating bonsai?
go and create a thread with the title "defining art" and then "differentiating good art from bad art" then one "defining a "true" artist" after that then maybe the discussion as it played out here might have a point.

funny thing though...will you praise a stick in a pot as a masterpiece bonsai? how then is it so damn important the differentiate if people can perceive and make up their own minds? = pointless, will the "artist" that created the stick in a pot be a true artist then? see where I'm going with this?

and the TV society comment? is that to downplay me and elevate you so your point is more valid?

best regards
Herman

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Then there's this:
facejug_hires_wide-1116676807e2b52c60063f0101b743273ddd495f-s700-c85.jpg

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160511

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mel Gibson is only like 5'4" tall. No where near 7'.
conceived Un-obtainable Greatness
That is why people need so bad for bonsai to be an art.
They want to be called artists.
Not eccentrics that are out playing with little trees in their back yards.
To me bonsai isn't art. Almost 3/4of the things people call art isn't art in my opinion.
Bonsai to me is horticultural manipulation.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know why it really matters to anyone. If you enjoy doing bonsai, working with trees to create beautiful but living/changing images (either realistic or idealistic or somewhere in between), just do it and don't worry about what people call it.

Reaction score
yes but did you?

you first explained why bonsai is for a fact art, and the rest is trying to convince people of the definition of art according to you as the global law of what art is. And everybody else is completely OFF if they disagree with you....see.... pointless discussion

you moan about the logic here, yet this follows the same path...if it's not your logic it must be inferior

just remember that the truth is a double edged sword buddy

ps. I don't need to type 6 paragraphs to display the fact of a high IQ, are you compensating.... maybe...no...definitely over compensating for something else?
thinking before posting is mandatory sawgrass, maybe practice what you preach?

fantastic :)
best regards
Herman
Thanks for the reply!
The reasoning for why I asked if you thought about what you posted before doing so... was because this whole thread is about trying to define, and put into a "Box" exactly what Bonsai is.

Is it an Art... or Not?

I did not create the thread... so I hold no personal responsibility for the thread, only my comments... So, I am not quite sure why you would direct your opinion at me, or to be frank... why you would post it in the first place seeing the thread is about exactly what you think should not be done... and i don't recall there being a third option proposed or suggested by either the OP, or any the posters so far... Perhaps, a better approach would of been to of posted your view in a direct comment, towards the OP, seeing here again... I did not post this thread.. that you feel that there should be this third option, that Bonsai should not be put into a box, and discuss your reasoning and logic behind such views... this is you opinion, you are entitled to it, Right? Instead of trying to now be the insulting prick that you are now being?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mel Gibson is only like 5'4" tall. No where near 7'.

That is why people need so bad for bonsai to be an art.
They want to be called artists.
Not eccentrics that are out playing with little trees in their back yards.
To me bonsai isn't art. Almost 3/4of the things people call art isn't art in my opinion.
Bonsai to me is horticultural manipulation.
You are so funny!
Yes, I am clearly aware of how tall Mel is, and I am also clearly aware of the fact that you know and understand perfectly well the logic behind the picture's meaning... What I am not quite aware of is why you are now playing the fool just to suit your argument... especially seeing you are not that dumb. Call Bonsai what ever you want, really makes no difference to me.

I have merely stated my opinion, given my reasoning for why Bonsai is an Art, and voiced my objections to the perpetual logic that the Nut reeks of, that for some strange reason, everyone has to try and limit the potential that they can be.

Time after time I have posted threads, voiced opinions, and done how to tutorials, trying to show how work that most believe, only some great master is capable of achieving... are done. I don't do this to try and show how great I am... to the contrary, I have done it, because I believe anyone is capable of doing this kind of work and achieving and having great trees if they only believe they can, and stop this rediculous mentality, where only a few can ever hope to achieve such greatness.

It takes a lot of hard work, and a drive to want to get there... Someone mentioned TV generation earlier, where everyone is an Artist and great... to me what TV generation is, are the folks who always sell themselves short, and want to make up excuses for why they don't want to work hard to do what it takes to become great.

Everyone on this site, I believe, has the potential to do great work... Yes, some can want to call themselves artists if they want too, and yes, perhaps their work is not so good...but, really what does this hurt? Why, is there such outrage, by funny enough folks who don't call themselves artist, and don't claim to be doing art? Why, then would they care?

I call myself and Artist, I believe my work is Art... some might not think my trees or my paintings are good, and that's ok... this is their opinion, they are entitled to it. But, my drive and determination are there, and my work continues to only get better. Because, I believe I am capable of creating great work. As one who calls them self an Artist, who has been making a living off of their work since they were a teenager, I am not in the slightest bit outraged by others that call themselves an artist.

Not, sure why this seems to be a problem? I understand that for some perhaps Bonsai is only something of a pass time hobby... or a craft. But, even still, if you are actually taking the time to do anything in life, you will still, hopefully want to do it to the best of your ability. If not why do it, right? Find something else you would prefer doing...

Last edited:
Top Bottom